Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
317 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 315

Retired , Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 359 carb pic and idle & choke question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Well, of course it can't be that easy for me, here are more pics of my carb. Apparently my carb is without the idle screw in the diagram you posted.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.47 KB)
1497_51b262af54c85.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (76.97 KB)
1497_51b262bdb2368.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The shop manual illustration provided in post #6 of this thread appears to show the Carter 4-bbl. as used on the V8s - models WCFB-2232S and WCFB-2394S.

The view from the inboard side of your carb looks more like what's shown in the January, 1953 edition of the Service Counselor (SC Vol. 27, No. 1); figure 1 identifies the idle speed screw location (lettered with a 'D').

However, that article was writtten for the WCFB-985S (superseded by WCFB-2084S), as used on 53 models with the 327 motor. Those carbs still had the integral car starter switch, but your carb clearly does not.

I'm not that familiar with the Carter four-barrels used on the S8s, but perhaps the design of the WCFB-2112S that was used on 54s with the 359 motor is something of an "in-betweener".

Posted on: 2013/6/7 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
This carb is on a 1954 359 engine.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The service counselor article shows the regular idle screw in the area of the red circle. Do you have anything that looks like a screw -- either hexagonal shaped or something with a screw slot partially hidden behind the linkage. That item sticking out resembles the item in the article but I can't see if yours has a screwdriver slot on the end.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.33 KB)
209_51b278db76814.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the illustration I used before is from the 1955 version of the WCFB. But I believe the idle speed screw, though not hexagonal, is still the one facing forward and downward, when the engine is warm the stop is the lowest step on the fast idle cam. Just screw it out as desired to lower the idle speed.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'll check tomorrow in the area where the red circle is.

Owen, are you talking about the only screw that is visible in the pic of my carb?

I have also found two different instructions by searching the internet and they both say something different than what you guys are saying. Wow, I didn't know this could be so complicated or difficult.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me with this.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Packard0 wrote:
I'll check tomorrow in the area where the red circle is.

Owen, are you talking about the only screw that is visible in the pic of my carb?

I have also found two different instructions by searching the internet and they both say something different than what you guys are saying. Wow, I didn't know this could be so complicated or difficult.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me with this.

Yes, it's the only screw that is visible and it is actually forward of the red circle.

The detailed instructions from Carter vary for each version of the WCFB used in 1953-54 and are intended to be followed when the carburetor is off the car.

Your best bet will be to loosen the screw very slightly a bit at a time until you get a good idle speed. A right angle screwdriver will be a big help due to the tight location and lack of a hex on the adjusting screw.

Be careful of the hot exhaust manifold that is very close to the adjusting screw !!

Posted on: 2013/6/8 1:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know about 359 engines.
Here is a pic of the idle speed adj screw (with red arrow) on my very original 56 Executive Carter WCFB. It is near the front drivers side corner of the carb. Use a 1/4" boxed end wrench to adjust. YOUR carb does not appear to have the screw.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.41 KB)
35_51b32c65d6e6f.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2013/6/8 8:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Give u s a pic of your carb from the same angle as the pic i posted above for better analysis. Probably not ez to do due to obstructions on your engine.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 8:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Whoa boys, the screw that Howard has circled in red is the correct one for idle speed. It is hex shaped and faces to the rear, and also has a screwdriver slot.

That other round-headed screw that faces forward and that is clearly visible is for the fast idle adjustment. It will only be affecting the idle speed when the car is warmed up if it is turned in way toooo far. (Which would also make the engine race like a banshee during warmup). When the engine is warm and the choke is fully open the tip of that screw should not rest on anything, but merely be near the lowest step on the fast idle cam.

The confusion is that the 55&56 carbs have the idle screw in a forward position.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 8:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved