Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: bentley powered by 42 liter marine packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
You'd need one hell of a big radiator to accommodate the gallons necessary to cool a 42-liter engine. I looked up the specs on my 352 CID V-8, which I think would be about a 5.3 or 5.4 liter (best guesstimate). It's cooling system has a 26-quart capacity, which is 6.5 gallons. It circulates at 30 gallons per minute.

If we use that as a base, then a 42-liter engine would requirem almost 9 times as much coolant, or 58.5 gallons!!! I would also guess that with that huge 12-cylinder engine, the amount of coolant needed to circulate through it would be a lot higher too.

As you said, BDC, cooling such an engine in boat would be no problem, but if this thing is cooled by water, then the weight alone of 58.5 gallons would add more than 400 pounds to the curb weight of the car. It is plain to see that despite its obvious power, the Packard-powered Bentley is certainly no sports car! In terms of speed, handling and, no doubt, fuel economy, I think I'd rather have a new Bentley Continental!

Posted on: 2013/7/10 8:17
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"352 CID V-8, which I think would be about a 5.3 or 5.4 liter (best guesstimate)" It's closer to 5.8 litres!

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
As I said, it was a "guesstimation"! I didn't have a converstion chart between cubic inches and liters. I know that the Ford 302 CID V-8 is rated at 5.0 liters, so I just guessed on what the additional 50 cubic inches would be. I just looked online and noticed that a Chevrolet 350 CID is rated at 5.7 liters.

Despite my error in calculating liters, you have to admit that it would take a huge overall cooling system to accommodate a 42-liter engine. It is pure insanity.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:19
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved