Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

1941Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: specialty screw
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Can u get the rivet itself????? Then get the rivet and thread it with a die. Will probably require some trick to hold it while threading.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: specialty screw
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Could a threaded rivet be used to attach the chrome trim to the trunk on my 48 ? Thanks

The threaded rivet I don't think would work for the molding because of how the threads are in relation to the head. No idea if those original clips are available anymore either.

I haven't worked on taking my molding off yet to see exactly how it attaches. Based on BDeB's description, I think I understand but since I haven't looked, this idea is only speculation and may not fly.

If no new clips are available, I was thinking that if it's like other molding attachments or clips, that piece originally holding it with the head bent over will be a flat piece on the opposite end captured by the molding edges. If that flat piece were replaced with a custom fit -- something like the clips David Grubbs made for his 51 only with very short threads -- or maybe a modified universal clip having a threaded stud cut short, then a threaded barrel or the female half of a short steel binding post could thread on. The head would be flat so the weatherstrip could glue over it. Should look or work very much like the bent over head that is or was there -- except it would be screwed on instead of bent over.

Actually, a better idea might be do the opposite and have the threads on the flat piece in the molding. Make the plate out of thicker metal -- thin enough to slide in but able to hold a few threads. Glue it in place and use a wide thin head -- something like a short or cut off truss head screw or the male side of a binding post -- on the trunk weatherstrip side. Just have to be careful screw wasn't long enough to touch the molding and put a dimple in the middle when tightened.

Anyway, just an idea so if anyone would care to weigh in, all suggestions are gladly accepted.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.76 KB)
209_51e1ad16607bd.jpg 205X217 px

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved