Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 70

BigKev, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Two '30 734 Speedsters, Hershey 2013 photos
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The car looks much better in black & plum

Posted on: 2013/11/29 10:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The Runabout belongs to Robert Valpey. He also has a wonderful '29 645 Town Car by Murphy and a '31 840 Convertible Coupe.

Here's the view a good many drivers saw back in the day.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (74.42 KB)
409_5298b9f91643a.jpg 800X513 px

Posted on: 2013/11/29 10:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct, the Valpey car is #452-7, Fred Kanter's is 452-6. As far as I know they are the only two remaining 734 runabouts (non-boattail roadsters) left. How many were made we don't know, at least 7 and probably more. Various sources say both 140 and 150 as estimates of the total 734 production, distributed across these styles; highest known (to me) motor number is xxx120. One of the sedans in on display at the Gilmore, I believe Nethercutt has another though I don't have numbers from either handy. The number in parenthesis is the production sequence number of the highest numbered known survivor.

442 - roadster, boattail (31)
443 - sedan (?)
445 - phaeton (26)
447 - coupe Victoria (6)
452 - roadster (7)

Posted on: 2013/11/29 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The other speedster sedan is in Florida. It's been owned by the same guy for decades. It has sidemounts which look better than the CCCA car. I'm sure I have a picture of it if nobody else does.

There was a mint original phaeton that showed up at a New Jersey yard sale in the late 40's for the outrageous price of $375. I guess it hasn't survived. It was two toned green.

Below is a color slide. The original leather in the Jepson Phaeton was the olive color on the left. The rest of the car was painted over so that I don't recall ever seeing the original colors although the late Robert Crane had it and the original colors may been reported on somewhere. I've heard of a number of Packards in this weird green color scheme.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.57 KB)
373_5298f3e71126b.jpg 600X337 px

Posted on: 2013/11/29 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Correct, the Valpey car is #452-7, Fred Kanter's is 452-6. As far as I know they are the only two remaining 734 runabouts (non-boattail roadsters) left. How many were made we don't know, at least 7 and probably more. Various sources say both 140 and 150 as estimates of the total 734 production, distributed across these styles; highest known (to me) motor number is xxx120. One of the sedans in on display at the Gilmore, I believe Nethercutt has another though I don't have numbers from either handy. The number in parenthesis is the production sequence number of the highest numbered known survivor.

442 - roadster, boattail (31)
443 - sedan (?)
445 - phaeton (26)
447 - coupe Victoria (6)
452 - roadster (7)

The Nethercutt car is a coupe victoria. There is only one known to exist, although there are rumors of a body in Australia or New Zealand.

Also, there are actually 3 roadsters known, however, one of them is highly modified. It was owned by C.A. Leslie, and I don't know if his widow still owns it or not. I've never been informed of its sale, so I suspect so.

Posted on: 2013/12/1 11:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There were two Victorias. I knew the guy who had them. One fell victim to the convertible craze. I read the story about the body going overseas once, but didn't bother to retain the details because they were so vague.

Posted on: 2013/12/1 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I believe Ed Blend had one of the victoria coupes at one time. I don't know if that's the car that Nethercutt currently has or not. I think both cars ended up at Harrahs, and as Tim mentioned, the body for the second is rumored to have left the country. I heard Down Under, but never received confirmation.

Harrah had three Speedsters at one time. I believe the two victoria coupes, and a third chassis. From the three, he built up the famous coral and brown boattail runabout. A second boattail runabout was also created, which I think is the car that Tom Kerr is currently selling. The third is the victoria coupe that is now in the Nethercutt collection.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The car from the Kerr collection is the Stuyvesant/Jepson phaeton. It was very sad because George had some surgery that didn't work out and became very depressed. I think he hung onto the car too long because people were talking to him only because of the car. I was at Kavenagh's place and he told me that George lamented at how he had more money than he knew what to do with but that it wasn't worth anything to him because of his health. Later I was talking to Bea about a situation where I could sell my soul for the money or run. We had a lot in common because she worked for the Equitable and I was an actuary. She agreed that tossing the money was better than not having sanity.

The Harrah's story is consistent with what I heard about the Victorias. Doctor Hoeshbacher had them. He was a terrific person. I guess Harrah made him an outrageous offer. The good one was really too nice to be restored.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 10:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved