Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 177

Packard Don, Ozstatman, Brian Hart, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How many remaining?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D you had a list posted here yesterday on the % of packards that survived, but I don't see it here anymore. What struck me as odd that the number of surviving 33's was about 5 times as high as the rest. Is there a particular reason for that?

Posted on: 2013/12/20 10:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You found it via a link in Guscha's post.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I guess I'm not that tech savy.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 10:51
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Nah, I had to go looking too.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 10:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O_D you had a list posted here yesterday on the % of packards that survived ........... What struck me as odd that the number of surviving 33's was about 5 times as high as the rest. Is there a particular reason for that?

Other than 1899, 1932, 1933 and 1934 have the highest survival rates, 1934 is even higher than 1933. Reasons? Perceived value, worthy of preservation even when they were middle-aged cars before the advent of the hobby is part of it. And part of that is that they had what many consider the pinnacle of classic styling, all 3 years sharing essentially similar styling. Plus a VERY broad range of chassis, wheelbases, and factory, series-custom and individual custom body styles.

Both years were in the depths of the depression and very low production years:

10th series: 4800 units
11th series: 8000 units

Posted on: 2013/12/20 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I wholeheartedly agree with O-D's reasons for the survival rates of these beautiful cars. Some may have been converted to trucks to escape the scrap drives of WW II, and some may have just been put/hidden away when rationing of gas and rubber made them virtually undrivable. And the math really changes with the low production rates of several of these series.

It is starting to look like that ballpark estimate of 1-2 percent of cars remaining (registered?) after thirty years might be somewhat valid. On our 1956 roster, I counted about 140 cars were listed out of the approximately 28500 made. Given that maybe only a third of current owners know or care about registering their cars, that would put us in the one to two percent of the last year's Detroit cars are still alive. Looking at the pictures on the roster cars, I'd also say that they're in "varied stages of health."

Posted on: 2013/12/20 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Analyzing the 1956 model year survivors makes for interesting results which hugely favors the senior (Packard-line) cars over the Clippers. Again using the PAC membership directory which has the limitation of only listing cars owned by the membership, the Packard line (including the Executive) was only 29% of the total production, yet results in 82% of the survivors (this result greatly buoyed by the Caribbeans) for an overall survivor rate of Packards of about 4%.

For the Clipper line, 71% of the total production but an overall survivor rate of about 0.38%.

Survivor rate for both Packard and Clipper lines combned is about 1.48% which perhaps might be doubled to include cars not listed with PAC members.

Raw data:

Packard line, 8568 built, 349 listed in directory
Clipper line, 20,266 built, 78 listed in directory

Posted on: 2013/12/20 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
That 8568 production number of senior Packards makes for an interesting comparison with a car that came along eleven years later. My 67 Corvette coupe was one of 8504 made (there were 14.5 thousand convertibles that same year). Like the 1957 Chevies and the real/fake Cobras, there seems to be a growing number showing up each year. I have had mine for nearly 35 years, so I have watched the coupes grow in popularity and value for some time. Hardly a week goes by when you don't see a 67 coupe in some sort of ad or magazine cover (you can tell a 67 from other "mid-years" by the slanted gills in the front fenders and the center mounted back up light). Eclipsed only by the 63 "split window", it might be that telling a real one from another year made to look like one will take a microscopic examination of the inside vehicle number plate, all too familiar to Packard owners. My Corvette club friends and experts tell me that they think at least half of the 67 coupes are still around, and some even say that the number is growing. Like the 43 factory fuel injected 1957s, at least three hundred are out there today. One aftermarket supplier of the unique 1957 fuel injected badge reproductions sold out a production run of 500 sets in two years!

We lucky senior 1956 Packard owners can take comfort in our unique front fenders and squared trunk lids and all those pushbuttons! I wonder if the fake 56 Packards will ever come about? Model As with Pinto engines and fiberglass MGs powered by VWs have had their run. Another gold and chrome Packard grille is just what the country needs.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
DaveB845 Quote:
We lucky senior 1956 Packard owners can take comfort in our unique front fenders and squared trunk lids and all those pushbuttons! I wonder if the fake 56 Packards will ever come about? Model As with Pinto engines and fiberglass MGs powered by VWs have had their run. Another gold and chrome Packard grille is just what the country needs.

That is the funniest (or maybe funnest) Packard idea I've ever read. Fake 1956 Packards! LOL!!!

If you ever go into that business of producing replica, but fake, 1956 Packards, remind me to NOT invest.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
There is some guy out there, right now, who will make custom bar vinyl love seats nestled between cathedral tail lights, dual exhausts and1956 Packard grills with blinking lights to hang over the bar. Build it and they will come.

My favorite toy car in 1950 was a large (1:12 or 1:18 scale) yellow Packard Custom Eight convertible with a horn button and headlight switch over red plaid upholstery. Many years later, I have never (obviously) gotten over it. I have checked out many antique and toy collector catalogs, but never have seen another. So now I get my kicks now with the real thing. They're better than bar furniture or quartz clocks mounted in Clipper trunk ornaments. The real cars sit there, look pretty and cost money.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 22:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved