Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 184

Packard Don, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Mechanical gauges
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ozstatman. I can't help it. Curiosity gets the best of me every time. Why is there a fan blade mounted to the top of the air cleanner???

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Keith,
It's a top secret Gyrocoptor '38 Eight, straight out of the Packard Skunk Works!
No?
Well then, how about it was put there when I was replacing the water pump?

Posted on: 2014/3/20 0:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think it's a homebuilt supercharger that also keeps the carb cool!

Posted on: 2014/3/20 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"If you want temperature readings that should very closely correspond to those that the cylinder head sensor is reading, the upper radiator hose (or upper radiator tank) are the obvious choices. Doing a tidy installation in the upper hose is not really practical, but I suppose you could have a radiator shop install a threaded bung in the top tank for an electrical sensor."

Following on from O_D's comment above. Yesterday, at a Packard club meeting, saw an extra hose on a '54 Clipper plumbed into the radiators top tank. It wasn't for the sensor unit, which was accommodated in the tee intersection where the sensor usually goes and still does, but to get more water to the radiator. The owner had experienced bad vapour lock back in November and had taken this action along with wrapping the fuel line to the carb with insulation and making and mounting a sheetmetal heat shield along the length of the exhaust manifold. All seems to be working so far. The installation of the fitting in the radiator tank was done under the radiator cap neck. That way a nut and sealing washer could be used in the tank without the need for any disassembly by a radiator shop.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.91 KB)
226_532f805e8ce64.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.93 KB)
226_532f808f41bcd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.33 KB)
226_532f81011ba71.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.69 KB)
226_532f81107eef8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/3/23 19:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is an interesting solution. Not quite sure I'm following how it works to eliminate vapor lock though -- but whatever helps. Looks a lot neater than a row of clothespins.

For my gauge question, have decided the plate under the water outlet would be the least obtrusive and easiest removable place for a second sensor. Would be nice to do something like the tee but the Packard thread for the thermostat sensor opening in my head is 5/8-18. Non standard for a typical US pipe thread so wouldn't expect any available tee fittings would be off the shelf items.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 20:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved