Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Help Identifying Cowl
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
The smaller race car (on the left in the photo of two cars) is, I believe, the Packard 122, built by a Packard engineering team that included Robert De Palmer for the 1923 Indy race. As I recall the team of 3 cars qualified well but then failed early during the race due largely to very limited development and testing time available because of holdups in the project.

I understand that after the race Packard were so disillusioned by the results that they canned the project and destroyed all their records. Now all that remains is a collection of press reports & photos.

There is quite a lot of info on this car available on the web if you do a search and the link below is a good one to start with.

http://www.king-of-the-boards.com/Packard%20International%20DePalma%20and%20Packard.pdf

We will have to stay in touch as I am also planning a 1930s 'speedster' project.

All the best.

Matt.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 21:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MadeInDetroit
See User information
Hello,

I am thinking about building a speedster styled open car. I have this cowl, the odd radiator shell, a couple of frames (mostly early Ford, and a line on a Chevy and Essex)... also other odds and ends. My idea is a "Privateer" style open car. So I would narrow the stock cowl while retaining the signature "Packard Shape"... full hood, belly burner pipes, open wheels, but just wide enough for 2 skinny people or one "Big Guy".
I have a couple of late 30's early 40's hoods and some rear fenders to fabricate a "Tail" section.
Really simple and minimalistic.
As a Packard admirer, I love the brand! However, to me the big racecars don't please my eye. I still love 'em..... but I like the little 122 better for my tastes...

Don't get me wrong though..... the BIG cars with a 12 get me heart racing! I would love to get the opportunity to hear/see one run!!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/25 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Sounds like a great project to me! Here in Australia we can race in such cars so long as they use only pre-war parts & technology and represent a car or group of cars that ran in the preiod. It is called Group K and has resulted in the construction/preservation of many prewar 'specials' including the 1927 Amilcar/Willys special that I race and my fathers S/C Willys special.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 18:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved