Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: U-joint lock plate supply
Just popping in
Just popping in

braspack46
See User information
To Cortcomp,
Your idea works in theory but after working in purchasing for many years in various sized companies I have to agree with Fred. The "Soft Costs kill you". When I started years ago the rule was not to purchase anything under $60 as that is the cost to process an order. You learned to be inventive to buy small items. Believe me when I say I hate paying high prices but I kinda understand.
If we still disagree I can meet you at Locos Amigos and arm Wrestle you over Margaritas since I live in Fowler. I saw your car at the Packard Museum Show but never managed to find you. Nice ride.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 7:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Since I won't be able to make it to the arm wrestling contest if it occurs, maybe you could film it and post it on You Tube. I'll watch it here in Simi Valley with Margaritas of course and won't need a designated driver either.

What makes a capitalistic economy work is competition. Controlling cost is a part of the equation along with the buyer being aware of things. It would appear that this topic is a little off track. Since I don't hold much hope for the You Tube thing and since it is only 5:50 am here, my only medicine would seem to be a Bloody Mary.

Bye for now.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 7:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
NAPA list them online for $1.29 if the hole span is correct for you. Part number PUJ 560LP

Posted on: 2011/9/8 7:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
JT
Thanks. I almost forgot I started this thread and what it was about in the first place. The center-to-center span of the Napa part is about 1-10/16. I need 1-7/16. Close. Very close.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 8:34
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West - although it's advertised as for 51-54 models, perhaps the lock plate offered by the Minnesota Packards region of PAC might be adaptable to your needs. They're asking $10 a set, postpaid. Contact is given as <wkempfert@hotmail.com>.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"NAPA list them online for $1.29 if the hole span is correct for you. Part number PUJ 560LP"

That's more like it! Napa can get almost anything from the warehouse next day too, so no long wait.

Listen, i understand a business has to make profit. However, plates like these would be loss leaders, or something you don't make a killing on. Like was said, $160 is just not practical. Sometimes you have to put down the calculator and say "hey, yes, i could justify this 25 cent part being $10, but this is ridiculous. How about 4 for 5 bucks, 5 bucks shipping the whole set, or no shipping if you're buying X amount of other stuff"

It's what put circuit city out of business. People were getting wise that ink cartridges didn't have to be $80, and that they were buying cables for $2.50 and selling them to you with your new printer for $35. It's just obscene on the small parts, but then they'll take a loss or make 5% on the larger parts, which would be junk at that.

braspack46:

Hey! Right down the road! My shop is on main street next to the lions building, on the same side as Locos Amigos. Been there almost 10 years after moving from Orwell.

I'm not normally in the shop, i drive around in the white astro van all day working for different customers, so i only pop in and out of there between calls.

I left my car at the packard show as i had to meet another packardinfo user over towards canton to drop off some parts he had bought and to look at a late 30's pontiac he was considering buying. I had my partner drive the car back after the show was over.

We should get together at some point!

Edit: Just saw you have a limo, was it by chance at the airport car show, out on the grass towards the road, last summer, with a group of packards? If so, that is one fine car! I had my Pontiac there for that show, as the motor and tranny was out of the Packard.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'll be at the CCCA Grand Classic in Canton with my car next weekend.

Dave
Thanks for the lead. I'll check it out when I get back from Chicago this weekend. AACA National Meet on the north side.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 18:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There are ujoints that do not use the bridge type lock , they use 4 small thingies with a hole where you bend one tab up and one down. All you need is bridge type iwth the correct hole size and yoiu just slice off the bridge.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
I think you could take the napa ones and bend them slightly in the middle to take up the 3/16" difference. For a $1 it's worth looking at.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
There is one more thing I neglected to mention on a large vendors overhead costs. You mentioned ordering parts in and getting free shipping as long as your order met the free shipping requirements. A lot of the parts sold for antique cars are not available from jobbers (hence this whole thread) The nos stuff out of old dealerships is in as found condition and a lot of the time the original parts tags are missing. It takes a lot of knowledge to identify an unmarked part and put a Packard part number on it and place it into inventory. This could be a small part like the lock plate or an expensive suspension part. The knowledge to ID and inventory unknown parts day in and day out is not an entry level shipping clerk position and pay grade. It all costs when you are trying to supply antique parts everyday.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 14:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved