Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

Trevor, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard Plant: Aerial Photos - Dec 2011
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Also, much of the reason why the plant became so isolated (aside from city battles over taxes, greed and other reasons) was that very freeway. Grand Blvd WAS the main traffic artery in Detroit in that area until Edsel Ford Freeway was completed. After that, it was like the same thing that happened to Route 66 after the big new federal interstates were built. The steady stream of cars on Grand Blvd. past the plant was slowed to a trickle after the expressway was built.

The overgrown green area to the right of the photo showing the Packard Bridge used to be the main employee's parking lot. It was once packed with cars on any weekday. some of them even Packards!

I was wondering about that! In all the old pictures E Grand was packed with traffic. In the contemporary pics, it looks abandoned. I figured all those cars in the old pictures couldn't just be changing shifts at Packard. The factory was big, but not THAT big.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 0:24
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Not only was Packard a big place, but so was Detroit. In the mid-1950's the population inside the boundaries of Detroit was 1,800,000 - today that number is 714,000. We've lost more people than most cities have people.

True, EGB was a major East/West artery, so was Harper Ave. running parallel to the north of EGB and Warren Rd. to the south.

Below is an aerial from Google Earth I use to demostrate the loss of population from Detroit to the suburbs. It is the neighborhood I grew up in, about 3.5 miles east of the PMCC. Today, not a single home remains on my block.

The N/S street in the center is Alter Road - the boundary line between the City of Detroit and Grosse Pointe Park. The E/W street in the center is Kercheval Street - notice Conner Avenue in the far left of the photo.

Now notice how much open space there is to the west(Detroit side) of Alter Road. Compare that with the roof-dotted area to the east (Grosse Pointe Park side) of Alter Rd. going a little more east you see the darker green area of the larger homes/lots of the City of Grosse Pointe.

Detroit cover 139 square miles and currently 43 square miles are vacant - about the land area of Boston. Some parts of the city have been described by The Detroit Free Press as an "Urban Prairie." And it did not have to be that way.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.77 KB)
436_4ede54c733712.jpg 788X705 px

Posted on: 2011/12/6 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That is so sad.
I've a friend with a sister living in Detroit. When he came back from last year's visit there he stopped by while I was watching a program about Berlin, Germany in the 1950's. I hit the mute button when he came in and after a bit he noticed the some of the pictures on the screen and asked in all seriousness if the TV program was about Detroit. I told him it was about Post War Berlin; to which he responded - "Looks like Detroit to me".

Posted on: 2011/12/6 14:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
When was the Edsel Ford Freeway built? I ask because it seems that time was against the old EGB plant. Had Packard stayed rather than moved to Conner and had they survived the Fifties, would they have been forced out soon after anyway?

It's incredible what happened to our cities. In the first half of the 20th Century they grew with careful planning and thought and were a model of good design and efficiency. Then in the last half of the century all those carefully laid plans got thrown in the dumpster. City planners and architects were replaced with highway engineers and suburban developers and we undid or walked away from everything we long labored to create.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Paul:

The interchange of I-94 (Edsel Ford Expressway) and the John Lodge Expressway was completed in 1953 and work proceeded eastward toward the PMCC from there. More than 10 years later I-94 terminated at the City of Detroit boundry to the east.

It wasn't until after 1965 that I-94 went out into the eastern suburbs.

I my humble opinion, the problem was not with land planners, architects, engineers or developers - it was with corrupt and mindless, power-hungry politicians.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 20:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved