Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Heater hose connections
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David,

My '47 Custom Clipper has the heater-defroster mounted under the instrument panel in the conventional location and an under seat heater unit mounted on the driver side of the front seat. There is no temperature control valve.

If I recall correctly, a heater hose goes from the shut-off valve on the rear of the cylinder head to one of the hose pipes on the heater-defroster unit. Then, a hose runs from the other hose pipe to one of the pipes on the under seat unit. Finally, a hose runs from the other under seat pipe to the hose fitting on the water pump.

This routing sends the hottest water from the engine through the heater-defroster unit first then to the under seat unit, and finally back to the engine to be recirculated. Shut-off valve is opened for water circulation in cold weather and closed to prevent circulation in warm weather.

I hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/26 12:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The defroster/underseat heater was the same as JW's on my '47 Super Clipper also.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
just what I needed - thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/28 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
RE 47 Custom: The hoses on my underseat heater have been cut and removed entirely, probably because it was leaking. So, after I get the core fixed, I was wondering what route the hoses take. I think I have found the in/out holes near the bottom of the firewall on the drivers side. Could someone describe the routing of the hose from the under dash heater to the under seat unit?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/2/5 1:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm assuming my 47 to be original routing and if so, water starts at the shutoff valve in middle of head to top tube of dash heater. Out of lower tube from dash heater to a bend over type retainer on frame and then thru the space between frame and floor to a clamp. Drops down to another clamp on the metal part of frame under the trans & across to the underseat heater.

Return follows exactly the same path and the clamps are shared until the frame in engine compartment where there is another bend over type retainer and then on to water pump.

Here are some not too good pictures of my probably never to be reassembled car. What I cannot tell without getting dirty is if there is a second clamp under the trans on drivers side just before the heater. Don't see any bolts on that side but feels like there may be something on top.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.98 KB)
209_51112fc9c5328.jpg 640X368 px

jpg  (42.19 KB)
209_51112fe535e8b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.22 KB)
209_51112ff0a6d1e.jpg 492X640 px

jpg  (28.75 KB)
209_5111300ce177e.jpg 640X393 px

jpg  (23.12 KB)
209_5111302125314.jpg 640X298 px

jpg  (20.96 KB)
209_51113036cf508.jpg 640X257 px

jpg  (33.05 KB)
209_5111312252b94.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (74.46 KB)
209_511131f6126ec.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/2/5 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark, please refer back to posting #11 above. The supply and return hoses for the underseat unit follow a general routing from the heater-defroster unit on the passenger side, not the driver side. These are long runs, especially the return hose to the water pump. I don't have the car at home now to check exactly how they are routed, but would think it would be easy to figure out. I don't recall seeing any brackets for the hoses on my Custom, but not sure about this. Just be sure the hoses are not placed where they can be pinched, burned, or chafed.

Actually, unless you are planning on driving the car in very cold weather, the underseat unit is probably best left unconnected. Most of the benefit is derived from the heater-defroster unit under the dash as it is the first to get warm water from the engine.

(o{}o)

Edit: Howard is quicker on the keyboard than I and his photos show hose routing like my 47 Custom including the brackets.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 11:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Many thanks to Howard and JW, excellent info as always.

I had thought to leave the front seat heater disconnected. However, Thanksgiving last, having had no snow and the acommpanying gravel and sand on the road, we took the car to see the fireworks in downtown Palmer and I got a request for some more heat from the back seat folks. Twas around 10 degrees though, about bit below average for us...

I'll put the heater on the bucket list for now,

Thanks again,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/2/5 21:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved