Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 202

Gary Kulp, LLT, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: new member needs some repair info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jim McDermaid made some measurements on his 6volt 54. I would expect those results should be fairly close to what your car would need.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11338&forum=4

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Sir

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Well - I have my 48 headlight switch out of the car and in my hand. It looks good, but may be dirty inside. Before I do anything to it, does anyone have any ideas how to clean or disassemble it. I'd like to know what I'm getting into Thanks

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bakelite or phenolic back containing the terminals will come off by carefully bending the metal tabs holding it to the case. I don't have any photos so will let someone else post some if they have any.

There are some pieces under slight spring tension so loose parts could dislodge. It's not hard but just be aware and sure nothing comes flying out. Take note of where things are positioned internally as you remove the phenolic.

I think you said all your lights were inoperative so now that you have confirmed the circuit breaker is OK, the switch is a good place to start. If just the headlights, then the dimmer switch is also a known problem area worth checking.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks HH56 - Maybe someone will post pictures of the inside or may have to get another one or have mine rebuilt

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This may make some people cringe....but I took all my switches and other other pieces like that and ran them through my media blaster with glass beads on low pressure, The terminals and other brass and copper part came out gleaming clean. You just need to work the mechanisms back and forth while blowing with compressed air to blow out and residual grit afterward.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 23:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dave mentioned on the PAC forum the switches are fairly robust. Before trying to take it apart or buy another, have you verified the push button is actually snapping the switch wiper into action so it connects. It could be gummed or damaged or just mounted too far in.

IIRC, with that switch any improper mounting can prevent the knob from moving far enough to activate the mechanism. When pushing the stem do you hear the switch moving with a snap or click and with an ohm meter have you verified continuity between the circuit breaker or B input and the terminals out?

There should be a sequence. First would be no connection. One push and the T and P should be connected to battery input. With the second push T and L should be connected and P should turn off. With the third push all should be off again.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.42 KB)
209_512685827c296.jpg 272X124 px

Posted on: 2013/2/21 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
YEA - I think I have it working ! -All I did was take the circuit breaker loose , clean the contacts and outer case of breaker and switch. Put it back and tested with my light . It works exactly as you said HH56 Hope I'm good to go Thanks for your help -

Posted on: 2013/2/21 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Reinstalled the light switch ( no fun ) It works on everything except the head lights. If I push on the circuit breaker - headlights come on - May have to buy a new switch.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 18:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jiimburke
See User information
I'm baffled too!!
But I have a simple question how do I post a problem I have???
I have a 53 Packard ultramatic tranny problem it's jammed acts locked up in reverse only all forward gears function ?????

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved