Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
307 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 306

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Another AC idea.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The plexi-tubes:
Is it possible that ALL plexi tubes used among ALL mfg'ers were the SAME tubes????

Posted on: 2012/6/4 9:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It would require some experimentation but i'm wondering how permeable the headliners are. Route the trunk mount cold air ducts up thru the roof pillar and just allow the cold air to dispense into the volumn between roof and headliner. THe cold air tends to drop and move toward rear of car (when car is in motion) because it is heavier.

Possible problelems:
Headliner bulges, but there is a good bit of space between headliner and roof so maybe not.

Very hot steel roof mite rob any cooling effect.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 9:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Major advantage of trunk mount AC mite be very quiet operation. The Mark IV trans-hump unit is very noisy and the AC blower motor generates alot of heat.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 9:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have seen at least 3 versions of tubes from various mfgs. There are probably more. One I've seen is a long tube which goes slightly above top of window angled towards roof corners. Opening is slightly forward facing & elongated into an oval shape which kind of follows the contour of corner & headliner. Another exits almost straight but curves forward & goes to top of window almost straight above package shelf opening. The opening is fairly round and gets slightly larger like a funnel. It's aimed so it would appear the air is supposed to blow at and skim the headliner surface. A third tube is about two thirds height of window, mostly round but with a vee shaped opening in the tube on the front -- that one must be a back of head instead of a neck freezer.

As to noise, probably quieter than yours where you are next to motor but a lot of the noise has to do with airflow. Air rushing in the intake at center of shelf and exiting on the ends makes for a lot of turbulence. Another Cadillac feature was some of their air return intakes was via a pair of grills at almost floor level under seat. With the roof vents as well, I imagine that one was fairly quiet.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 9:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I have seen at least 3 versions of tubes from various mfgs...

That's probably number four, two checkered stovepipes papped by an unknown Kremlin-watcher. The airstream was directed by roof arching and happenstance.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.52 KB)
757_4fccdd0de2633.jpg 378X284 px

Posted on: 2012/6/4 10:58
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My personal opinion at this point of so many variations of AC configurations, is that the main problem we face is fitting a LARGE condenser and interior insulation. At least on the V8 models.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
It would require some experimentation but i'm wondering how permeable the headliners are. Route the trunk mount cold air ducts up thru the roof pillar and just allow the cold air to dispense into the volumn between roof and headliner. THe cold air tends to drop and move toward rear of car (when car is in motion) because it is heavier.

Possible problelems:
Headliner bulges, but there is a good bit of space between headliner and roof so maybe not.

Very hot steel roof mite rob any cooling effect.

No Keith, the system needs outlets. Cold air behind the liner would make that condensate would come into being under the roof.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.92 KB)
757_4fce79b039b08.jpg 500X356 px

Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
This price-performance ratio looks much better.

[picture source: ebay item number: 350571804899]

Attach file:

jpg  (25.48 KB)
757_4fce7d31398f0.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
WOW!

Factory AC is expensive;

Hence the reason I have been working on and off to duplicate them. Guess maybe it's time to stop goofing off on other wacky projects and concentrate on this one again.

Someone must have rrrreeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyy needed some badly or demanded originals only to pay that much.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.02 KB)
209_4fce7d1fcaa53.jpg 640X270 px

Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved