Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, The part article on the Russian ZES, above the BTV announcement, also make for interesting reading. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2009/11/17 19:55
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Here's a link to John's earlier post showing the article in full.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1062&start=514

Posted on: 2009/11/17 20:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Gerry: What is the purpose of the long standoffs?

Craig

Posted on: 2009/11/17 20:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Re: ZES article.

Yeah, kinda written like one of those sophomric Tom Mcahil editorials. What none of u younger people realize is that hte article was written during a time when everyone was building fallout shelters in their backyard, and looking for commies under the bed.

I don't know if the "ZES" was any good or not. I've never had a chance to smoke one over. But i'm not sure i'd put much faith or confidence in an article that sounds like Tom Mcahil speak.

Oh, by the way, for any of u young (or old) right wing moron majority types it was NOT Reagan that tore down the Wall. He had very little to do with it. It was actualy Pink Floyd who got the ball rolling on it ca. 1978.

"TEAR DOWN THE WALL.. TEAR DOWN THE WALL.. TEAR DOWN THE WALL ..........."

Posted on: 2009/11/17 21:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Craig,

The long standoffs allow me to use the original pedal and the pedal location. See the attached drawing. I wanted to keep the push rod angle as straight as possible. If the booster was closer the the angle would change.

Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (10.32 KB)
1278_4b03fec539bda.jpg 439X300 px

Posted on: 2009/11/18 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Craig,

The long standoffs allow me to use the original pedal and the pedal location. See the attached drawing. I wanted to keep the push rod angle as straight as possible. If the booster was closer the the angle would change.

Jerry

<p>Thanks for the clarification. Was there some specification with the booster that you used about rod angle? Or did you just want to minimize variance around "straight in"?</p>
<p>The reason for asking is that both my 55 Pat and my 63 Tempest that I swapped MCs on (no booster on the latter), there seemed to be a fair amount of allowable variance in the rod angle into the ball-socket receiver before any interference would occur. Of course, straight in maximizes
the force and minimizes side thrust wear, but for a few 10s of degrees off angle around dead centerline, there would not be much loss. Just wondering.</p>

<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/18 20:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Craig,

I talked to the hotrod and customize car community and the informed me that straight in to the booster is the best option. A angle that is two to three degree off the centerline would be acceptable. I laid out the space in the Patrician after removing the air duct and it allowed me to back off the booster to achieve the proper angle for the pushrod. Surfing the brake websites I found that many boosters had standoffs were built with the booster. None would fit my application. I hope that this explains how I arrived at my configuration. If you have any other questions I would be Happy to answer them. You and Eric are my heroes.

Jerry

Posted on: 2009/11/19 9:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Craig,
After reading through this thread, and having my BTV fail on me once already, I've decided to go ahead and install the 7" unit from MPB in my '56 400. It seems like a straight-forward installation but I do have a question about your brake pedal modification shown on your Panther web page. As mine is a '56, can I use the stock padal without any modifications? It looks like it would be an easy fit. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2009/11/20 23:02
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Craig,
After reading through this thread, and having my BTV fail on me once already, I've decided to go ahead and install the 7" unit from MPB in my '56 400. It seems like a straight-forward installation but I do have a question about your brake pedal modification shown on your Panther web page. As mine is a '56, can I use the stock padal without any modifications? It looks like it would be an easy fit. What am I missing?

<p>Jed, what you are missing is that the stock pedal in STOCK location only has 1:1 leverage, i.e., straight in. You MUST mount the whole pedal as shown in order to achieve 3:1 ratio. Therefore You MUST cut off the pedal as shown in order to provide clearance for your right foot to the accelerator pedal. </p>
<p>Some posters on this forum have been critical of this altered brake pedal position, but these same critics have NEVER driven my Pat. I use left foot braking and the changeover was immediate and easy. Both Kevin, (KevinAZ) and Eric (Turbopacman) has driven my Pat, so they may want to comment. Also others (friends and valets in Las Vegas) have driven it various distances without any complaints or stated issues. I presume that one or more of them are right-foot brakers, if that is the way you normally drive.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/21 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/21 0:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved