Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a Bostich contractor grade oilless. THe colder the temperature (below 45 degrees F) the longer it takes to even begin to pump. It is a bit noisier than even my 5 hp Kelloge. The oilless have their place. Mine is mounted on the wall to run a motysickle lift and very quik short jobs where i don;t need alot of volumn nor plan to need alot of air for a long time. They are excellent for transporting in a truck or dragging around the ranch because if they tip over or need to be packed into a tight verticle space they won't leak oil.

THe oilless have their place. But i wouldn;t want one as a primary nor sole air source. They're just a nice portable/limited apace compressor.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 20:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, my 25-gallon compressor is oil lubricated and is/was rather quiet when running. Since it is still under the manufacturer's warranty, I'm hoping that there should not be too many problems in getting it repaired under the warranty. Perhaps the cold had somethingt to do with the compressor, as opposed to the motor, seizing up. We shall see.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 16:52
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Alright. The replacement fuel tank has been installed with a new fuel level sending unit. The lines have been connected. Fuel has been added to the fuel tank. And still the engine won't run off of the fuel tank. For some reason, the fuel pump is still not drawing fuel from the tank. Any suggestions?? (Other than a liberal amount of C-4 applied to appropriate places . . . )

I've read that the diaphrams in the older fuel pumps will go bad with the newer blend gasolines that include ethanol. But I've been running the car with modern fuels since I got it last June and the fuel pump managed to pull fuel from a temporary set-up. I haven't seen any fuel leaks under the car.

One thing I need to mention is that when I put in the new fuel tank, I have yet to install the rubber hose from the tank vent to the filler tube. Would that have any effect? I had doubted that it would, but it would not be the first (nor last) time that I've been wrong.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 13:50
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The open vent won't have any effect in this case but I would wonder if you checked the condition of the fuel line--particularly if the original. Many reports of pinholes developing which can allow the pump to suck air instead of fuel and also the possibility of a block needs to be ruled out. How about the flex line between pump and line. If original, those can harden and cause issues.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 13:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
The flex line from the fuel pump to the line is new so that can't be a problem. A blockage is also out since I had hit the fuel line with compressed air before changing fuel tanks and I could hear the air coming into the old fuel tank. So, the line itself is not blocked. I suppose a pinhole is possible since I believe that it is the original line. Is there a way to check for such a pinhole before I have to replace the whole fuel line? Replacing the fuel line looks like a major PITA.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:07
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The most fool-proof way I've checked fuel lines for miniscule leaks is to disconnect both ends, cap one end securely, and apply a vacuum pump with a shut-off valve and gauge to the other end. Pull a vacuum, close off a valve between the pump and line with a gauge between the valve and the line, and check it again after a few hours to see if it's loosing vacuum. If it holds the original vacuum overnight, you're surely OK.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tim,
I see the Pat now has a garage mate, a '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe! for including it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 0:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Yes, indeed. This one is roadworthy and a nice addition to the family. Since it was so close, I could not bear to let it slip through my fingers. With some minor work, I can now at least drive a Packard while I take my time to work out the kinks in the Patrician. Then it will be the Four Hundred's turn!

We are now a Two-Packard family!!

Attach file:

jpg  (60.55 KB)
3929_4f3e62d37c595.jpg 800X603 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 9:23
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Despite the fuel system challenges, I have been making progress in other areas. I picked up some spare wheels that I plan on having sandblasted and then powder-coated in the Patrician's ultimate colour of Sapphire Blue Metallic. I have found a place locally that will sandblast the wheels at $25/wheel and the turn-around is about a week. I have also found a powder-coating place in the area that will powder-coat the wheels for $50/wheel. At $75/wheel, I can have all five (5) sand-blasted and powder-coated for a total of $375.

I am holding off this project until I have the total for the wheels available as I don't want the sand-blasted wheels sitting around while I wait to accumulate the cash for the powder-coating.

I like to refer to this as multi-tasking (wheels - brakes - fuel system - exhaust). My wife tells me that I simply can't focus and stay on task long enough to finish one to completion. Sigh, at least she appreciates the Packards.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 21:53
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ahh yes! More than one Packard - life is good!
I like the color on the 400, but then I'm probably prejudiced.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.30 KB)
23_4f3f62cb94269.jpg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 23:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved