Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
268 user(s) are online (191 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 268

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 107 108 109 (110) 111 112 113 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
458225 and 458226 socket and cable were the same 55-6 and most 54 models.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, good info thanks. I will keep an eye out at the swapmeet on Sunday. If not, calls to vendors will be required I guess. Not unless someone has a couple for sale.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know the Packard diameter but maybe an option here at Napa. Only single contact they appear to show.

Those Packard numbers with a R and L probably include the deflector glass.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.66 KB)
209_4d3fa04273583.jpg 740X341 px

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hmmm.... looks like a possibility. I guess I could take the socket down to Napa and see what they can match.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Last resort. Throw it in the pocket and I'd be surprised if you didn't find something identical or at least would work at meet & fairly inexpensive.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Much progress today thanks to Jim (39super8), he came over listened to the motor and dug right into the valve train. #7 Exhaust valve was way loose and that was the Klacking culprit. Not sure how I missed it, I guess I didn't have the valve at the lowest point before trying to adjust it or something. Just inexperience on my part. But Jim went through all the adjustments and got everything locked down to where it should be. The Clipper is no longer the Klackard.

Jim also dialed in the idle adjustments on the carb. Things are looking really good engine wise. Purring right along. He also went readjusted all the brakes for me, and now the pedal is nice and firm now.

With that, we went for 30min test drive through the neighborhood. Transmission may be the next major project on the car. The Gear Start is working fine both in normal ultramatic mode and GearStart mode and you can feel the initial shift in GS mode. But it never seams to go into direct even up to 50mph. I let Jim add more detail as he was driving and putting it through the sea trials. Could be all the muck that was found clogging the filter screen on the tranny was indeed from the clutch facings. More investigation is needed and consulting with Ross.

Towards the end of the test drive she started to stall again, and this time the fuel filter didn't look clogged. So I think there is a big chuck of crap in the tank that is at times clogging the pickup. So the tank will need to be dropped again for another round of cleanup. I think the new fuel has managed to loosen up a lot of crap that multiple rounds of muriatic acid couldn't. Funny think is that in never does it while idling, only when the car is moving. Probably form the fuel sloshing around in the tank is breaking stuff loose.

All and all, much forward progress and a great day Packarding. Thanks JIM for his expertise, and Debbie for her patience!

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:08
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Kevin,

I didn't catch it, is this a hydraulic lifter or solid lifter motor?

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
327 Solid lifters.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 18:39
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Thank you. Watched your video and my 327 hydraulic sounds the same, but i haven't run it for more than a few seconds at a time and figure they need to pump up. Annoying noise though! Most of them pumped up right away.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:Much progress today thanks to Jim (39super8), he came over listened to the motor and dug right into the valve train. #7 Exhaust valve was way loose and that was the Klacking culprit......Jim also dialed in the idle adjustments on the carb......He also went readjusted all the brakes for me, and now the pedal is nice and firm now......Thanks JIM for his expertise, and Debbie for her patience!
Yes, a big to Jim for getting down and dirty on BigKev's Clipper.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 107 108 109 (110) 111 112 113 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved