Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 252

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I know that it has been a while since I've posted about any work completed on the Patrician since I acquired the Four Hundred. I haven't been neglecting the Patrician. It is only that my darling wife would like to take a short trip with the Four Hundred in two months and I'm working on getting it mechanically roadworthy so I can satisfy my lady. Something I'm sure that you married gents will recognise is of prime importance!

Moving on to the Patrician. I've tracked down my fuel woes to weak vacuum coming from my fuel pump. I suspect that is why a previous owner installed the now defunct electric supplemental pump on one of the inner fenders. So, the next step in solving the Patrician's fuel woes is to rebuild the fuel pump, which is something that I've already decided is probably a wise thing to do in any event so that the fuel pump is ready for the current blend of today's fuels. Compared to rebuilding a Rochester carburetor, rebuilding a fuel pump appears to be something I can tackle without too much diffuculty. I've read quite a few blogs of other Packard owners who have tackled this task and I think I am up to the task myself.

The two main things that have been holding up progress on the Patrician has been the broken left exhaust manifold and the pesky fuel problem. Quite honestly, I'm still shying away from tackling that broken exhaust manifold and am looking for some way that I can replace it without either: 1) pulling the engine from the car; or 2) removing the left front fender and/or front end from the car. Looking at the manifold, I'm pretty sure that I can get to all six (6) retaining bolts if I remove the fresh air ducts, the battery box, and the windshield washer bottle holder. Once those things are moved out of the way, I'm pretty sure that I can reach the bolts with either a good solid socket attached to a breaker bar or with an impact wrench. Prior to that, however, I plan on applying some more liberal amounts of PB Blaster to the bolts in question and perhaps applying some heat from a torch to the exhaust manifold to see if I can loosen up things. I've had the replacement manifold for months now and the new exhaust system has been sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. The passenger's side has long been installed except for the piece with the resinator. That part I've left off since I'm taking off the rear bumper and that holds the rear piece in place. As long as the mufflers are in place, I think the neighbours won't mind if the resinators are off.

As the weather continues to improve, I'll be spending more and more time on both the Patrician and the Four Hundred. Each have their own advantages but it is nice to have both a two-door and a four-door.

Life has been very, very good to me!

Posted on: 2012/4/27 19:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Patrician has been the broken left exhaust manifold

I have both sides in good condition on an engine out of the car (off 1955 Pat). If you want to buy it, make an offer via PM.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/4/27 20:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
After working on a Boy Scout fund-raiser in the morning, I spent the balance of the day working on odds and ends on the Patrician. The weather was windy, cloudy and threatened rain so with the Patrician being in the garage, it won out over the Four Hundred.

While the brake system on the Patrician is nearly complete, there are a few odds and ends that I have to concern myself with. The brake line going from the front wheel junction to the master cylinder was a PITA to get off the junction but it finally came loose on Saturday and I was able to install the new line from there to the master cylinder. The line from the master cylinder to the rear junction was half-replaced and I decided to just bite the bullet and replace the whole line.

That went relatively well until I was fiddling with the line going into the master cylinder. For some reason, that line just didn't want to line up so I could hand-thread the coupling into the cylinder. Now remember, the Patrician is still up on jack stands until I get the fuel system and exhaust system completely replaced. So, trying to thread the coupling from the bottom was proceeding unsatisfactorily so I thought I would try it from the top. There I was, lying on the driver's side fender trying to both bend the line into the correct angle and try and hand-thread the coupling into the cylinder with the same hand. For some reason, I just couldn't get the coupling to bite into the threads on the master cylinder because every time I let up on the pressure on the line to try and turn the coupling, I felt the line shift and the coupling move out of position. Unfortunatlely, there was just not enough room for me to get two hands down there at the same time to both hold the line in the right position and then hand tighten the coupling.

On top of the frustration at not getting that final coupling into place, I managed to bruise one of my ribs sliding around on the top of the front fender. So, even though Sunday was a beautiful day beckoning me to work, the old body was simply not up to the task and I took the day off. Now watch, I'll get back to it once my rib heals and the blasted thing will go right in! I must say though that the shiny new lines look so much better than the old rusted ones.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:13
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, my rib has still not healed sufficiently to go climbing around the Patrician to complete the brake system. My wife, who is an emergency department nurse, advises me that it takes three (3) to four (4) weeks for a bruised rib to heal completely. Wonderful.

In the meantime, I ordered and received a fuel pump re-build kit for an AC-4299 fuel pump from then and now in Mass. I must say that ordering from these folks was a snap and I received the kit in a few days. Before I undertake the rebuilding process, I want to get fresh batteries for my digital camera so I can record the process. I know that Big Kev has a rebuild blog for a Carter fuel pump but mine is an AC 4299, which is a bit different.

Hopefully, that will occur sometime this week or next week, depending upon demands on my time. Stay tuned!

Posted on: 2012/5/6 12:45
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I'm looking forward to the rebuild and your pics.
I have to work on the one from my '55 Clipper.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 14:22
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Tim, I've had success with hard to start brake lines by detaching or loosening the cylinder the line screws into. On my 22nd series, it was the distribution block that was on the front of the M/C, and one of the rear wheel cylinders.

The rear wheel cylinder needed a new line, so I carefully bent one and attached it the distribution block. When I tried to get it to thread into the cylinder, it just wouldn't start, being that it was not perfectly fitted like the original. So I removed the two bolts holding the cylinder to the backing plate, and it gave me enough movement (the shoes weren't installed yet) to get the stubborn line to start without cross threading. Then I simply fanageled the cylinder back into place and started the two bolts.

You can do the same with the master cylinder, or, if like mine, the distribution block on the front.

It's a lot easier to get wheel cylinder bolts or a big banjo bolt started than it is to start the threads on a new brake line.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 14:35
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joey, that is a good suggestion, and one that I have used. Leave components slightly loose so that the fuel/brake/vacuum/oil lines can be started easier. Once the tubing fittings have been started, tighten down the component(s) and then tighten the fittings.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/6 16:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well folks, some disheartening news on the Patrician/400 front. It seems that the 400's master cylinder leaks like sieve whenever the brake pedal is pushed. In order to keep the 400 on the road, a master-cylinder-transplant was required with the Patrician being the donor. I guess there was a reason why I just could not get that last brake line fitted into the re-built master cylinder . . . So much for the bad news.

The good news is that I can now try my hand at re-building a Bendix treadle-vac master cylinder and see how it works on a vehicle that is not expected to see the road for a while -- namely, the Patrician. I've de-greased the Patrician's original master cylinder and I've started soda blasting the outside. Once I get the cylinder apart, I'll more carefully soda blast the individual parts before refinishing and re-assembling. I already have a re-build kit that has been sitting there waiting for use. I've read Ross's handy guide to re-building the Bendix treadle-vac system and I'll have that handy when I get to the re-building part.

That brings up another small victory. A few months ago I purchased a 40lb soda blaster from Harbour Freight. Once I got the darn thing assembled according to the instructions, darned if I could get the thing to work properly. After a few unsuccessful attempts, it sat in the garage while I busied myself with other chores. Now that I have to media blast both the master cylinder and the spare fuel pump that I'm re-building, it came time to get serious on getting that soda blaster to work. The owner's guide was little, if any assistance, but I did manage to get it working and the outside of the brake master cylinder is looking much better for it. As for the fuel pump, I want to take some pictures of the parts "before" so I can compare them with the "after" shots.

A rainy weekend would be perfect for spending some time at the workbench in the basement re-building a Bendix treadle-vac and an AC 4299 fuel pump. At the present time, the weather in Eastern Pennsylvania has been hot, high 80s and low 90s, and humid. Not great weather for working in the garage so when this weekend comes, hopefully I can report some progress on those two re-building projects.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 20:45
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Tim, I'd like to know how that HF soda blaster is working out for you. I was eyeing the same one, and wondering if it would be sufficient for blasting my wheels.

I've been having good results with aluminum oxide media in a blast cabinet, but I think a wheel might be a little too big. I'd also like to blast some areas on my cowl, and don't really want to use sand.

Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2012/5/29 22:20
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow on some of the more rusted parts of the fuel pumps that I'm re-building. I'll post some photos on how they turn out. I've got a few wheels that could use a blasting, too. For those, however, I've found a local shop willing to sand-blast my wheels for $25/wheel, which I think is rather reasonable.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 22:41
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved