Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 142 143 144 (145) 146 147 148 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Very nice work, Kev. You are indeed an inspiration to those of us who are facing similar challenges with our Packards. I still have quite a few mechanical issues to solve with the Patrician before I start on repairing rust holes and the like. Your blog is a nice reference tool. Thanks, again.

Posted on: 2012/4/6 10:21
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. Not sure if the way I do things is the book perfect way, but it works for me!

Posted on: 2012/4/6 10:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a little bit of work today. Did the initial media blasting on the sun visor roof bracket.

The car it came off of was for sure repainted at some point. The "newer" paint was more "plastic" like, to the point that it doesn't media blast away as it is too soft.

The second pic is me just showing the posting on the car where it mounts.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.58 KB)
1_4f8260af53dfd.jpg 765X1280 px

jpg  (53.14 KB)
1_4f8260ba3c0ec.jpg 765X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/8 23:09
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Notice the difference in the lower mounting holes for the center bracket - "keyed", as if to slip over a pair of pre-installed screws. Makes me wonder what other differences there are in installation, given the change in design/mounting, 51-52 vs. 53-54.

Now, if only someone out there had a set of the original printed instructions available for scanning.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 9:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From what I gather.... You install the two lower screws just loose enough so the roof bracket can "key" in to them. Then the entire visor and roof bracket is assembled off the car, and then "hung" on those two lower screws which are hidden/inaccessible by the visor body when installed. Then the top screws are installed to lock it in place. The side brackets appear to be similar with keyed holes, and a cover piece. Also I believe there is a thin rubber pad that goes between the roof bracket and the roof as a seal.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 12:56
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Brian said, and based on conversation with Ross and my own figuring, there are are at least 4 different visors made for the 51-54. Two styles (sedan/hardtop) for the 51-52, the same of the 53-54.

The instructions in the 51-54 Shop Manual only cover the 51-52 style which has a different side mounting because of the difference in windshield and trim design compared to the the 53-54 models.

Also to add to the confusion the 48-54 Parts Manual I have only lists the 53-54 visors, with no reference to the 51-52 ones. So how confusing is that? A parts manual that only show a visor available for the 53-54 models, and a service manual with instructions that only apply to the 51-52 style.

I will document as I install, hopeful that will help the next guy out. But it is a good thing to note that the visors are not interchangeable across the 51-54 models. So make sure if you decide to get one, that it comes from a car that is the the same year and model as your own.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 13:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
More work this evening on the car..... Sanding...Blocking....Filling.....Repeat.

Just dirty non-sexy work. The rear tail light "pillars" are finally straight and smooth. The had all kinds of damage from the car being rear ended. Also the truck filler panel is finally straight as well.

Just working all the low spots on the rear quarters now.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 23:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I think the sanding / filling etc is the least pleasant of the resto jobs, you just wish it was a quick and easy job, but it sure takes time to get it right.

That visor you have looks like quite a rare accessory, I've rarely seen a car with one for many years! Quite a find. They do a great job of keeping the car cooler.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 7:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I do admit that block/sanding/filling is much more enjoyable then stripping 50 years of rust and old paint.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 10:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
ah, yes. Come to think of it, scraping 50 years of grease and dirt off the undersides is definitely worse.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 17:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 142 143 144 (145) 146 147 148 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved