Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 109 »

Re: Recent additions to the Owner Registry
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave
See User information
I can edit my entry now~

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I like the changes- loads much faster.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 15:14
StudeDave '57 Resized Image
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mal -

I've run across something that may have bearing on your work, but requires a little background.

In wrapping up the 48-50 Service Index content and preparing to work on the 41-47 installment, I found some anomalies WRT to Clipper models. Of course, all 46-47 Packards were Clippers, and there was only one 1941 Clipper model (body 1951), but the '42s had me scratching my head.

When it comes to these Packards, I'm just a layperson, but apparently the lone Clipper model was a late-comer for '41. Yet, it was so well-received that the Clipper was expanded across the Six and Eight (Junior) lines, and Clipper styling was also applied to the 160 and 180 Senior models for in 1942. However, because not every body style was available in Clipper form (like convertibles and custom bodies), some models from previous years had to be carried over from 1941.

It appears, then, that the following 1942 chassis/models are Clippers:

2000-10 - Six
2001-11 - Eight
2003 - Super Eight One-Sixty
2006 - Super Eight Custom One-Eighty

...and the following 1942 chassis are NOT Clippers:

2004-05-07-08-20-21-23-30-55

However, in reviewing this site's Model Info for 1942, I found the model names rather confusing.

While the parts book and a factory ID chart (by series/chassis/model numbers) reference 110 and 120, I've read that those designations were dropped from model names after 1941. Only "One-Sixty" and "One-Eighty" were retained for 1942, which appears to be the final year for those.

I don't have any factory sales literature that goes back that far and most books don't provide much of a clue, but the Crestline book seems to have the most complete model names, and based on that I've arrived at the following:

Chas Body Model Name
---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------
2000 1582 Clipper Special Six Touring Sedan
2000 1585 Clipper Special Six Club Sedan
2000 1588 Clipper Special Six Business Coupe

2010 1502 Clipper Custom Six Touring Sedan
2010 1505 Clipper Custom Six Club Sedan

2001 1592 Clipper Special Eight Touring Sedan
2001 1595 Clipper Special Eight Club Sedan
2001 1598 Clipper Special Eight Business Coupe

2011 1512 Clipper Custom Eight Touring Sedan
2011 1515 Clipper Custom Eight Club Sedan

2003 1572 Super Eight One-Sixty Clipper Touring Sedan
2003 1575 Super Eight One-Sixty Clipper Club Sedan

2006 1522 Super Eight Custom One-Eighty Clipper Touring Sedan
2006 1525 Super Eight Custom One-Eighty Clipper Club Sedan

The nomenclature for the 160 and 180 models is verbatim from the Crestline book, but I'm not entirely sure of the correct "syntax" for the Junior model names, as the that same book doesn't use the word "Clipper" in its discussion of those models (e.g. - Special Six, Custom Eight, etc.). So, for the time being, I've assumed the use and placement of "Clipper" for the Juniors, but I could be "all wet" on that.

Also, in the course my explorations, I found some other areas which may need correction:

- In 1942, a Super Eight Custom One-Eighty All-Weather Cabriolet by Rollston (Body 894) is listed as Chassis 2007 in Model Info, but shown as 2008 in other publications, such as PI's production info and the Dawes book.

- The 1946 and 1947 Clipper Eight Club Sedans (Chassis 2101, Body 1695 and Body 2195) do not appear in Model Info, but their existence appears to be corroborated by PI's production info and the Dawes book.

- The 1946 Clipper Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan (Body 1612) and Clipper Deluxe Eight Club Sedan (Body 1615) and 1947 Clipper Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan (Body 2112) and Clipper Deluxe Eight Club Sedan (Body 2115) are classified as Chassis 2101 in Model Info, but listed as Chassis 2111 in 1941-1947 parts book, and corroborated by PI's production info and the Dawes book.

I had previously shared this, privately, with BigKev, but know that he's a busy guy. I'm not sure who originally worked on the 1942 Model Info pages and not trying to lay blame, but simply hoping we can arrive at the correct model names for the Model Info database, which clearly impacts the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have gone through all years now for the Registry with most older entries updated to the best of my ability. There are some not updated, mostly special vehicles like Henney's, because they aren't in the Model Info pages. The others remaining to be updated are waiting on responses to my PM's to Owners because there was insufficient information to enable reasonable identification of the Model concerned.

Please review your own vehicles Registry listing to see if/how it's changed. If there any concerns please let me know.

And Brian,

You've done a wealth of research there, well done, I think Kev did the updates on the Pre-War Model Info pages.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 4:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most of the information on the pre-war models came out of the Standard Catalog of American Cars. So there are probably mistakes there that carried forward into the Model Info pages. This is one of the reasons why I have asked for a couple of years for someone (or many ones) to step forward that is detail oriented on these models to perform an audit and edit of these models to clean up all the Pre-War models. They are not my specialty by any sense of the word so I am just regurgitating what was available to me in the reference books I have at my disposal when the initial dump of data into the Model Info pages was preformed.

So if any of the Pre-War gurus want to tackle one or more years and perform an audit based upon Packard generated documentation (as opposed to 3rd party references) then please raise your hand and I will put you to work!

Posted on: 2010/10/13 9:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, I remember that the Model Info feature was a vast undertaking and put together in relatively short order by a handful of people. Then, it began to grow. With the addition of links to "Recommended Manuals and Literature", the Model Info feature is a great starting point for newcomers and a ready-reference for the rest of us.

I adopted the 55-56 cars, but later decided to do the 57-58 Packardbakers, as well, since I had the info here. Now, I don't expect anyone to go to the extent that I did, but really do wish that others who are equally passionate and knowledgable about certain years/Series would step up to the plate and help make this great feature even better.

Also, I have found that the "General Information" text in many of the individual, model-specific pages is cut-off in mid-sentence. There could be a lot of good, additional info lost now. I'm thinking the culprit may have been quotation marks ("). Some program code uses special characters for very different purposes. I restored the lost text form my personal files, but went an extra step and eliminate the quote marks. As such, I would recommend that anyone working on the "General Information" text in the Model Info feature avoid the use of the quote mark (").

Also, please coordinate any changes in model names/numbers with Mal, since the Owner Registry would be affected.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The cutoff of text occurred when the website moved to a new server.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 13:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You are both right. The problem occurred when migrating the data to the new server because of the quotes that were contained within the entires. The database migration moved everything out to comma delimited files that wrapped all the field in quotes. The internal quotes in a field caused the entires to become truncated. The problem is fixed now going forward, but die had already been cast on the older pre-server move entires.

I guess we need a Model Info Page Czar to help manage the changes and edits coming in from people as the problems are discovered. Much like Mal is the Registry Czar.

My long term vision was that eventually we could have folks that would help me to manage specific portions of the website or I end up being Jack or all trades, master of none.

Brian has really spearheaded a lot with the 55-58 Model Info pages, all the Service Index Pages, and the BookShelf Page, and Mal with his continued stewardship of the Registry. I just need a hand from some detail oriented Pre-War folks on the Model Info pages to get them in tip-top shape. Even if your specially is one year (aka 1940), then you can help to bring that year's entries up to snuff. This includes fact checking the info, verify the pictures are correct, and trying to locate missing pics.

I guess we can create a thread for this, and people could posts questions, problems, and edits they find with the Model Info pages, and then we can discuss and figure out the straight facts and made the edits from there. Just thinking out loud here.

Also at some point I would love to expand the Model Info pages to include the early Packard Trucks, and later Henney products to make it really a complete reference.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 12:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Back to the Registry Pages....

I figured out how to incorporate my custom modules into the sites Search Box function. So now it will return hits from the Owner's Registry when searching for a key word in the sites Search Box.

I will roll this out to other the other custom module pages soon (Parts X-Ref, Model Info Pages, Dealers, Service Index, etc) . Stay tuned.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 17:54
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
BRILLIANT!!!

Posted on: 2010/10/14 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Kevin,

Absolutely wonderful addition to the registry!

and

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:13
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 109 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved