Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
358 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 357

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting on the motor mount but sure doesn't look like something I would think is a factory job. Do you know any history of the chassis like maybe if it started out life as a six and someone changed to an eight. If it was exported a lot of export cars were sixes because of the various importing country taxes so maybe it was way underpowered and ??

Be nice if it still had a front clip to see if it was an eight or at least had the possibility from the start. Interesting thought on any of the six clips -- Is there enough room to move the radiator forward and fit an eight in the short fenders.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 8:58
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Guscha, The BMW is a 1955 R50 ( 500cc), with a R75
( 750cc) motor, 5 speed box and R75 diff shoehorned in. I bought it for my wife to use but she is 125 lbs and finds it a bit heavy at 186 kg. The bike has an electric leg which is handy. PT

Posted on: 2018/9/19 17:09
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,
You got me to thinking a somewhat rare occurrence, and it made me wonder what the setup is in my '50 Eight Sedan. Turns out it's the same, or at least very similar, as that for the '48 Limo chassis. What struck me in taking the photos of the '50 is that the radiator is completly contained and supported by the front clip.

Concerning the history of the chassis, Peter Packard advises it was a Martin and King bodied funeral car in the NSW country town of Cooma. Apparently the body suffered because of all the wood in it, that's why it's no longer extant. But Peter has some doors and other parts off it, if I ever should decide to restore it to it's former glory!

Attach file:

jpg  (210.02 KB)
226_5ba2e409c8828.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (190.43 KB)
226_5ba2e41f5cdb1.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/9/19 19:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 47 356 engine mount bolts directly onto the crossmember with no extensions. Along with the front mount the 356 engine has two small stabilizer brackets on either side which the smaller engines do not have. Those brackets are located about where the bolts into the crossmember are located for your extended mounts. I wonder if the setup you have is something for export or right hand drive cars or if it was common to all 22-23 series. Anyone have a 22-23 US left hand drive motor mount photo to share?

Posted on: 2018/9/19 20:08
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have some photos somewhere of Mal's Limo when it was in one piece. Just have to find them. I shall try. PT

Posted on: 2018/9/19 20:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote:.....Anyone have a 22-23 US left hand drive motor mount photo to share?

Howard, Would be good to know.

Quote:
Peter Packard wroteI have some photos somewhere of Mal's Limo when it was in one piece. Just have to find them. I shall try. PT

Peter, Would be interested to see them.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 21:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 20th September, 2018

Gary visited today and picked up the parts from Les for his '48 Sedan, including fuel tank, headlight bucket, trim spear, grill whisker, rusty rear shocks, old very rusty brake and fuel lines(these only for patterns), etc, etc. I passed onto Gary an air cleaner assembly and the shocks off the Limo chassis(much better condition than the others). Gary was also looking for direction on a number of parts he didn't know where they went in completing the jig-saw that his Packard came as, including the upright front stays from the front of the chassis to the radiator collar. I was also able to pull a bumper bolt he was missing "from the shelf", didn't think I'd ever be able to utter that phrase and provide 4 wheel lug bolts. I've only got 3 lug bolts holding on each of the Limo's wheels so there were some spares!

Gary had driven the 800kms in his 70's Ford XB GT Falcon Hardtop Coupe. This is an Aussie "Muscle Car" with 351 Cleveland V8 and 4 speed manual trans and they are now a very sought after car. Accompanying Gary was Joe, his very well behaved dog, see photo. Gary has offered to provide a Packard breakdown service, of course within a reasonable distance of his home, next year when we travel to/from our National Rally. Thank you Gary

Attach file:

jpg  (194.62 KB)
226_5ba310e0d9501.jpg 1920X850 px

jpg  (210.46 KB)
226_5ba310f3d61d0.jpg 1920X780 px

Posted on: 2018/9/19 22:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Also found earlier references of yours to the Martin & King Mourning Coach in this old thread.

Posted on: 2018/9/20 2:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote: Interesting on the motor mount but sure doesn't look like something I would think is a factory job......

Quote:
HH56 wrote: My 47 356 engine mount bolts directly onto the crossmember with no extensions. Along with the front mount the 356 engine has two small stabilizer brackets on either side which the smaller engines do not have. Those brackets are located about where the bolts into the crossmember are located for your extended mounts. I wonder if the setup you have is something for export or right hand drive cars or if it was common to all 22-23 series. Anyone have a 22-23 US left hand drive motor mount photo to share?

Howard,

Remembered that Keith(PackardV8) has a '48 Chassis in the Registry. Hard to see but the setup looks the same as on my two.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.39 KB)
226_5ba96f9a740b5.jpg 351X235 px

Posted on: 2018/9/24 18:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
O_D for the photo in Post #2 in this thread which shows the "flying buttress" brackets on which the front engine mount sits.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved