Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: that Effin' Pin!
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Why not just buy a new pump or have the old one rebuilt professionally. Or put in an electric pump.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I am about at that stage. I checked all the major auto supplies to see if they had a mechanical pump for my car, and they don't list one.

I just took it back off. The arm goes into a slot in a small plate back in the pump. I assume that this plate is supposed to move relatively freely up and down. I stuck a small flat-head in there to check, and it does not move.

Am I right that this plate should move? Perhaps when I improperly installed the arm the first time (putting it above the plate, the cranking action bent some stuff in there (or the plate) and bound it.

I could disassemble the pump to check, but am wondering first if I am on the right track.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it comes to it, see what you can do in a new pump from this list. The Airtex number was posted by someone & has been proven by a couple of people. Ford listings are some engines that use that style.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.57 KB)
209_502a6b5e5045a.jpg 467X654 px

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Found this, which says Airtex 110-3450:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-3450/

Looks same. Whaddya think?

Think I'll try to open the pump up to see what is jammed.

That plate with the slot that the arm goes into should move freely up and down, right?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks the same and what I see of the Ford x ref also appears the same. Long time since I tore one apart so not familiar enough with the AC internals to give much info.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
NAPA sells a pump made by Bosch that fits the Ford 292 and by extension, the Packard V8. Now I'm a little leary of NAPA because of the "dissolve in one month or less" carb kits BUT this pump NAPA sells for $16.83 on line.

As for driving in Portland, Today is nice and I'm going to do some test driving in a little while. However, the rest of the week is forecast for 95-100. We'll see if mine warms up then....

Posted on: 2012/8/14 13:29
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, that's hard to believe - a good quality mechanical fuel pump for less than $17?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Jim,

Can you get me a link to the NAPA pump, so that I can get it from them? I don't know my Ford engines (292) and would struggle trying to find it.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Sorry for the delay. I was out testing my '55 but more of that at another place and another time.

The link is www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BSAN68407_019723251

I got there by entering under "cars" the 1956 Thunderbird with electric wipers and the 292 V8. They have a dual action pump listed under 1956 Thunderbird for the 292 with vacuum wipers that I'm interested in for $57.15

And yes, that price is hard to believe but it says that it is a Bosch. However the carb kits I bought from NAPA were at a simular low price - so I would make a point of asking if these pumps are tolerant of alcohol.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Just tried the link myself and it gives up an error message.

So, go to www.napaonline.com enter 1956 Ford Thunderbird and Fuel Pump and that should get you to the w/vacuum wipers deal I've mentioned.

I just tried the above myself and didn't get the pump I've been talking about. Let me go and retrace my steps and then I'll re-post.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved