Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: New Twist on Brakes-Check it out
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
V8's and BTV's:

What percentage of PAckard products 54 and earlier had Power brakes vs percentage of 55's and 56's with power brakes????

I don't know but there is 3 years production with the 52-4 S-8's -- including a couple of fairly good years. Packard promoted Easamatic after the introduction -- even to making retrofit kits available for the 51s. I'd almost guess that the number for the two groups installed is probably within 10%. I do believe there are more V8's on the road and driven today so perhaps that bears consideration.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 22:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Makes one wonder if his father drained and flushed the entire brake system every 1 to 3 years or had it rebuilt every 3 to 5 years whether it needed it or not.

I get the feeling that this is something of a sarcastic query, but let me state, for the sake of this discussion, NO and NO.

However, keep in mind that the Exec was his only daily transportation for nearly five years - until construction began on our family home. At that point, he purchased a tired old 53 Chevy pickup mainly to haul materials, but he also used it to go back-n-forth to work, to spare the Exec some miles.

Still, his Exec was used much more frequently, then, than most surviving examples these days. Lube jobs were done more often (by the calendar) on that car, with all fluids topped off.

Clearly, something has changed between then and now.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I wish my father was here to help me with these type of questions. He owned a gas station when he owned his 56 Exec and I don't remember the car being out-of-commission. My mom used the car to cart us 4 kids everywhere everyday. That car took a beating

Posted on: 2012/11/17 10:08
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"mom used the car to cart us 4 kids everywhere everyday. That car took a beating "

Yes. But did all of that occur with in the last 25 years???

Note BH's last statement in the post close above:
" Clearly, something has changed between then and now."

Is it reasonable for everyone to assume that "then" means ca 1950's thru 1970's and "now" means ca. 1990's thru present day?

So then what is it that HAS changed???? Once we figure that out then maybe a solution can be determined. Whether or not such a solution can be had is a different issue.

Actually, BH has already identified the problem. IT's the PARTS!!! Is there anything else that has changed??

Constant claims of owner neglect, IMproper service procedures, improper storeage of BTV's, draining and flushing and rebuilding every 6 months to 5 years, among a long list of other claims of individual Packard owner incompetence can be dispelled.

REview BH's post #22 and Craigs post #24 of this thread. Both of those posts identify the problem, exactly the problem and the only problem. Both BH and Craig are well experienced men of automobiles as can be found in the industry anywhere..

Posted on: 2012/11/17 11:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved