Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1951 Patrician...in my Future??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2013/1/28 16:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is an earlier discussion on bringing the old engine back to life. Good advice here;https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10080&forum=1&post_id=106426#forumpost106426

Good luck with the Patrician. I'm very partial to the 51 models. You will have lots of fun with it, especially with this site to help you out.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Did you see the 51 Patrician for sale in Redding? You could get it and merge the two...

Posted on: 2013/1/28 22:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
i have found every almost every packard i have picked up have some stuck valves in it, if you can turn it over, do a compression test first, any that have no compression you have to pull the head and the 2 valve covers, and do some cleaning of the stems and guides

Posted on: 2013/1/31 19:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
RE: The one in Redding. I had to look twice when I saw it. Almost thought someone had backed up to mine and swiped it! Then as I realized that the car in Redding has an interior, I calmed down,LOL.

I keep putting Marvel down the plug holes, turn it over a few times, and repeat. I am assuming it has stuck valves, but hoping maybe the Marvel will eventually loosen something up.

I got it to turn over with a 12V battery, but am concerned that the solenoid won't tolerate it much. The starter motor is stout enough, but I'm leery of toasting the solenoid - it's the old 'square" Autolite type - not cheap to replace I guess.

Anyways, I tinker with it every other weekend or so for a few hours. Not going to really be able to do anything till summer. Stored under a tarp, outside. Staying dry inside so far.

I've got the seats and carpets out, floors cleaned, ground down, treated and painted. Still pretty solid old girl. Minor rust in driver's floor and a spot under the door sill.

The plan is to get the 327 Thunderbolt running and worry about peripherals once that is achieved. If the engine is toast, then I may have to consider other options. Those bridges crossed when they appear.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My two cents. Remove the valve covers (on the side, under the manifold). Spray the valves with PB Blaster really well. Let that soak overnight, then tap the valves lightly with a large screwdriver or something like that. No hammers! If there is any crusty stuff on the stems, try and scrape that off.

Turn the engine over by hand if possible, and watch the valves to see if they're moving. I would strongly encourage you not to hook a 12 volt battery up to the six volt system. Too much starting could be harmful to things.

Also, you can go to the Packard Club website and order a 51-54 Shop Manual reprint for probably lots cheaper than you can pick one up on Ebay. You do need that manual.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Hubcaps-Set-4-15-vintage-chrome-used-wheel-covers-free-shipping-/190792737971?hash=item2c6c2224b3&item=190792737971&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Set of full 51 hubcaps - not perfect but might be a good set until you win the lottery and get the Patrician version. $10 gets you the red vinyl inserts from the Packard Club.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Before trying to start the engine, drop the oil pan and clean it and the pump pick up screen. This will also give you a chance to inspect a sampling of rod and main bearings. Replace the oil filter element and refill the crankcase. You may need to prime the oil pump too. Relatively easy to do and will ensure that when you do start the engine no harm will be done to the expensive lower end. Just a suggestion...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
its easy to check if the valves are stuck, by just removing the side covers, if you turn the engine over 2 complete turns, you know all the valves should have cycled. then look in the side covers, and check the gaps between the bottom of the valve stems and the lifters, if any are like 1/8 inch gap between them some are stuck. i have made and adapter to use a slide hammer, to have to pull them out as i seen in one manual. then cleaned the stems, and run a valve guide ream down through the guide to clean them up, then re lap the valves back in

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I would agree with JW and drop the pan and clean it all out first. Since you have already been turning the engine over, have you tried doing a pressure check on the cylinders, normally you can tell very quick if you have any stuck valves. Also get a good 6 volt battery, you don't want to do more harm than good. Trust me I know.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/2/3 14:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved