Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Packard versus the Rest
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Anyone who has owned a 1948 Super Eight Convertible, (not the Custom) can you tell me what the ride was like? Did it have much less comfort than the Custom model?

Posted on: 2010/12/7 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Chrysler corporation did wind tunnel tests for sure. The fins definitely aided stability at high speeds, like the feathers on an arrow or the tail fin on an airplane.

Andy Granatelli did a lot of racing in Chrysler products. He confirmed that the 1961 Chrysler was a lot steadier at high speed ( which could mean 140 - 200 MPH to him) compared to the 1962 Chrysler. They were practically identical except the 1962 was shorn of tailfins.

Other cars, not so much. It was rumored that the horizontal fins on the 1959 Chev actually hurt stability, by creating lift like an airplane wing but this was a myth.

The stabilizing effect came from vertical fins the higher and farther back the better.

You might also look at some English racing cars of the fifties like the Lotus 11 and Vanwall. They used fins for their practical advantages even though they had nothing but contempt for American styling.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Rusty, I owned a 1960 Desoto Adventurer with the big fins and a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker in the 1960's. I never had either car much over 80MPH on the 401 so can't say if the fins helped or not.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
How does Packard compare with other classics of years 1948 to 1950's regarding MPG. Which ones were the thirsty beasts ?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The only one that bragged about their gas mileage at that time was Cadillac. The 1949 thru early fifties models with OHV 331 cu in engine were supposed to be good for 20 mpg or better, on a long hiway trip at a steady 50 to 60 MPH. This was better than most low priced cars at the time.

Earlier flathead Cad, Lincoln, Chrysler, Buick and Packards more like 15 MPG. Buick straight eight with Dynaflow transmission were probably the worst, and could easily dip to the single digits in traffic. Lincoln flathead V8 with overdrive, or OHV V8 with Hydramatic were pretty good.

In the early fifties Packard put a lot of effort into improving gas mileage but I don't think they ever were as good as Cadillac. But they were better than Buick. Buicks were the worst gas hogs, in fact General Motors cars usually got less mileage than competitive makes except for Cadillac.

From the late fifties on, 15 MPG was again the norm in spite of more efficient OHV engines. Increased power, heavier bodies, and many power sapping accessories like automatic trans, air conditioning, power steering were he cause.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If I recall correctly, Granatelli was talking about speed records on Daytona Beach. The wet sand surface was not the best for racing. It had a lot of drag, not much grip, and could be uneven and rippled. It took a lot of nerve and a delicate touch to keep a car on an even keel while running at 100MPH+. More so than on a paved road or track. I think 1962 was about the last year beach racing was allowed.

Or, maybe it was the Bonneville Salt Flats. I do know his point was, the tailfinned models were steadier under bad conditions of wind or iffy traction.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No need to speculate for 1955 as we have hard data. Here's the data for gas mileage at various speeds as recorded by Motor Trend in their testing of the 1955 cars. The braking distance data is also interesting to review. Comparative data for other years can also be found in the Motor Trend annual summaries.

All the vehicles were automatic transmission except the Chevrolet 210 6, Nash Rambler Custom and Studebaker Champion, all of which had stick & OD.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.37 KB)
177_4cffe0e9c7fcc.jpg 1204X835 px

Posted on: 2010/12/8 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have some small experiences with Packard gas mileage. My 1950 Deluxe Touring Sedan with Ultramatic get about 10 mpg in freeway driving. I have not tried to rebuild or adjust the carburetor.
As a teenager in the 50s I went to a high school prom in a late 50s Packard. It was an elegant ride but the owner was a bit ashamed at its 7 mpg. This is real world and not tuned for gas mileage.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 15:56
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like a couple of Packards begging for a thorough tune-up! With mileage like that, you could be driving a Twelve.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Fred

How fast are you driving? The OD setup gets about 20 mpg at 50 and 13-14 at 65 +. I'm thinking 15-16 for you at 55. Is your transmission going into direct drive?

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/12/8 23:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved