Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: 352 Crankshaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
ok. So Studebaker used only (or a large number of) forged cranks in production Studebaker engines????? If answer is yes then most likely that is new news to alot of us.

Not sure about the 6 cyls, but all Stude V8's from the 232 thru the 304 had forged cranks & rods as well as gear driven cams. Also 5(?) head bolts per cyl. One article I read said the original designers back in 1949-50 anticipated that future higher HP output would be achieved thru higher compression ratios and they planned accordingly. Dick Dotson, Ted Harbit & others have teased 600+ HP out of stock blocks & bottom ends using high boost single & twin turbos with good reliability.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad
See User information
Studebaker had their own foundry, and made all their own forgings.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 20:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And as some of us will recall from a prior discussion, Packard sold their foundry and forge in 1954.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 22:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Studebaker had their own foundry, and made all their own forgings.
Having a foundry and doing forgings are two separate endeavors. Can you please verify the info. It's not that I doubt you, but sometimes facts are inferred from info and are not accurate. I know this from research in another field.
Also, I worked in a foundry for several years and we also did heat-treating - two separate disciplines. We did not do forgings.
Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A Studebaker expert in South Bend was consulted and here is his answer:

[quote]All of Studebaker crankshafts were forgings produced by the Wyman-Gordon Company in their Chicago plant. The machine work on the cranks were done in-house by Studebaker. Those forged Packard V8 crankshafts were service parts designed and produced after the casting pattern equipment for the Packard cranks was lost or destroyed along with those for the blocks and heads. For some reason, the manual transmission bellhousing pattern seems to have survived as there are some with later casting dates.

Studebaker engineers believed in forged cranks and they chose to produce a forging instead of having another casting pattern made. The forged cranks were never installed in anything by S-P. They were strictly Service Department replacement parts supplied once the cast cranks were NLA. This further suggests the 1959 SSB indicates the beginning of forged crank production.[/
quote]

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/2/3 12:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, thanks so much for looking further into that. I also spoke with a serious Studebaker fan who confirmed to me that all Studebaker crankshafts for the V8s from the get-go until the end of the Stude-built engines were forged by an outside vendor and finished in-house. I'd guess the Packard cast cranks were done by Lakey Machine & Foundry in Muskegon, though I've not noticed their logo on them, that's the same firm that cast the V8 engine blocks, heads, and many other parts; their casting mark was the superimposed "L" over the center of a "C". Another well-known casting house that did such work, alot for the independents including Hudson & Nash was Campbell, Wyant & Cannon whose casting mark was "CWC".

Attach file:

jpg  (74.45 KB)
177_4f2c22aa9cb14.jpg 1280X647 px

Posted on: 2012/2/3 12:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Never underestimate the Service Index here for finding information you are seeking:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SB-350.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (48.81 KB)
1_4f2c39d419171.jpg 453X478 px

Posted on: 2012/2/3 14:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kevin, what is the date of that entry in the Service Index?

And it is good to have verification as to how Stude got their forgings and castings done.
Owen just told me it is 1959.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wait a minute. We mite still have a little problem here. Or maybe my factory parts cataloug is not up to date.

From p 83 engine section Nov 1 1955:

440594 for 5540
440913 for 5560-80
476009 for ALL 56th.

NOTE the 440913 ENDS IN A "3".. NOT a "2". AND is for 5560 thru 5580 NOT 5522,42 and 47

Posted on: 2012/2/3 23:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
my parts book page 83 says "revised july 1, 1956"
page 68 of the index says "440913 476009"
which indicates part number 440913 was superceded by 476009.

We now return to our regular broadcast.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 23:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved