Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
332 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 329

BigKev, 2T300RE, James Kallman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Got gasket kit and valve from Kanters. Now to wait for the
installation.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 12:21
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
AND THE HITS JUST KEEP COMING.

Had the valve installed and got the engine cranked over and a valve on the other side let loose. Took the old push rod which now looks like a lazy 'S' and the lifter to an expert machine shop and the expert opinion of 3 engine rebuilders is I have a very bad cam shaft. So this car is going into the shop for the next couple years and get and engine swap along with painting the engine bay. I have a complete engine, but also access to a rebuilt 374. So I will have to decide which to use.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 5:49
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If ur pulling anyways... Just rebuild the engine you have now. Would be less I would think. Send the cam to Jack Vines for a regrind.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There was a running change made to replace the intake valve spring retainers with an improved (nitrate-hardened) design, try to find a set (P/N 6492077) if you don't already have them. They are around, I just picked up a set for an eventual engine rebuild.

The changeover Utica engine numbers were:

A-14403
AA-1597
B-7056
C-1532
D-7719

A few more details on this can be found in the Service Counselors.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You can check the retainers with a file. The older ones will mark easily with a file on the outer edge. The nitrate-hardened ones will not.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit off topic, but occasionally the question is asked how many 56 Packards were built with standard shift. Just reflecting on those changeover Utica numbers in post #324 above, one might project that about 10% of the base-model Clippers had standard shift. Interesting that no BBs were indicated - perhaps none were built? IIRC there was no engine build code assigned for C or D series engines with flywheel, only for Twin Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well I am trying to decide what to do. I have different ways to go, it's just a case of choosing a path and moving forward with it. As soon as I can I will post a picture of what took place.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 8:56
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Not sure why all the talk about valve retainers.

The first sign of trouble was that your engine locked as the crank was turned by hand. At that time, I suspected a dropped valve was obstructing piston travel. However, inspection with valve covers removed showed no evidence of that. Subsequent removal of heads revealed a bent valve.

Now, you report that another "valve let loose" and that the push rod is bent.

In lieu of additional details, I'm thinking that a piston hit a valve, but suspect the valve was opened by the cam - not because it dropped. As such, I have to wonder if the cam timing is off - perhaps timing chain is slack or jumped a tooth. Although there may be damage to the corresponding lifter and cam lobe, they were likely on the receiving end - collateral damage.

Personally, I wouldn't replace this (352) motor with a 374 mill. Not sure which carbs you have but they would need to be rejetted, at the very least. I suspect the distributor would also need to be brought up to 5688 specs - recurved or replaced.

It would be far easier to stick with a 352. Yet, how sure are you of the quality/condition of parts and build of another engine?

If it were my car, I'd want the engine that came with the car rebuilt (if possible), but it's your car and your decision.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll have to agrre with BH. However, if the cam is broken into two pieces then that could cause the damage Al describes.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 21:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
BH + Keith.

What you guys are saying is very plausible and makes sense and it opens up another possibility. When the shop yanks the engine in order to paint the engine bay(which they would have to do whether to rebuild it or swap the engine, I could send it down to the engine machine shop and have them tear it apart and tell me what the condition of everything is and then I could decide whether to rebuild it or go with another engine. Just to tear it down to inspect it should not run me to much to start($250 according to the shop this morning), the costs won't start to climb until I decide to go thru the whole rebuild process.

Thanks guys.

ALK

Here is what I am talking about:

Attach file:

jpg  (21.23 KB)
430_504691a6ed5e6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.66 KB)
430_504691cd06928.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/2 8:22
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved