Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 255

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: air conditioning in 1953
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
Gator wrote:Hello all, new member and soon to be Packard owner here. The car is a '53 Clipper Deluxe 2 door.....I am also very interested in adding AC to this superb automobile......
G'day Gator,
, to have you aboard PackardInfo, being a soon to be Packard owner.

Would be even er if you could include your about to be ed '53 Clipper Deluxe 2 Door in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Is that or what?

I definitely will register Oz just as soon as my ownwership is official I would hate to register and then Lord forbid, have something to happen.

Let's see, in review of establishing the requirements involved with installing a fully functioning 6 volt air conditioning system, I know that a two groove pulley designed for a car with power steering will alternatively drive a Sanden AC compressor on my car without power steering. Although there is some doubt, there is also substantial evidence supporting the fact that 6 volts applied to a 12 volt compressor clutch will maintain engagement. Lastly, it appears that there is a dilemma associated with the evaporator which primarily affects those of us who prefer to maintain our original 6 volt electrical systems. It seems that there is a need to drum up market support for someone to manufacture a 6 volt dual shaft motor that will fit in place of a 12 volt dual shaft motor currently produced and installed in an existing evaporator unit. Does this sound about right?

Posted on: 2011/8/30 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMHO, you have pretty much nailed it. I don't think you will find much interest in someone making a dual shaft 6v motor. There may be places which will rewind an existing 12v for a princely fee but realistically, think you would be better off in thinking of how to adapt one or two current single shaft 6v heater motors. It would take some changes but just looking at the setup on a Nostalgic Air unit I have, not out of the question.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 9:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
IMHO, you have pretty much nailed it. I don't think you will find much interest in someone making a dual shaft 6v motor. There may be places which will rewind an existing 12v for a princely fee but realistically, think you would be better off in thinking of how to adapt one or two current single shaft 6v heater motors. It would take some changes but just looking at the setup on a Nostalgic Air unit I have, not out of the question.

I have to agree with you Howard. Adapting 2 six volt heater motors to an under dash unit will most likely be the route that I pursue. If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned a "Nostalgic Air" unit that you have...would that be an under dash mounted evaporator or trunk mounted?

Posted on: 2011/8/31 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
By the way, my current schedule is to pick up the Clipper on Friday, September 9th. I could have and would have gone this coming Friday but quite honestly couldn't bring myself to trailer a vehicle 400 miles while sharing the road with a bunch of people in a big hurry to cram as much entertainment as possible into a holiday weekend! The idea scares the beejeevies out of me!

Posted on: 2011/8/31 7:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
By all means stay off the hiway while all the neophyte Indy drivers are refreshing their skills. I try never to get on a major hiway during any extended weekend. Stay home and watch the real racing on TV. And have the wife keep you supplied with snacks and refreshments.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 9:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned a "Nostalgic Air" unit that you have...would that be an under dash mounted evaporator or trunk mounted?

The blower I have is from Nostalgic Air's ID-200 in dash evaporator. Am reasonably sure the motor section is very similar if not identical to their underdash units. The housing is plastic and separates into halves. Support bars provide some rigidity and the whole assy screws onto the evaporator case.

On this one, I was thinking the blower housings could be separated and rearranged to allow for 2 motors. Even if one motor had to mount outside the dimensions of the case, should not be too big a problem. It may also be possible to move the housings closer together and use one motor with a long shaft extension/adapter running both wheels--although an end bearing and support would have to be provided with that approach. Since the wheels are for a 5/16 shaft and heater motors I've found are 1/4, an adapter or extension will be needed anyway. I would wonder if the smaller heater motor would run 2 wheels though.

Motor direction would be a consideration and might dictate placement but these particular wheels are universal & can mount the motor from either side so not the biggest obstacle. Of course all the theory is a waste if the clutch won't work so any changes would have to be reversible.

If you decide to go the modify to 6v route, would be very interested to hear which mfg or unit you picked and how you chose to do it.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.15 KB)
209_4e5e492023376.jpg 700X700 px

Posted on: 2011/8/31 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You know, there is one other wild and wacko idea and I don't know if it is feasible at all. My med's probably haven't kicked in yet so here it is & all feel free to laugh heartily. Actually, I think there was a discussion along these lines 2 or 3 years ago with various methods to use a heater blower in an older model. As I recall, that involved mounting it inside the heater box which eliminated the heater.

Wonder if it would be possible to make a couple of neat looking adapters out of metal or fiberglass and place them over the car right air vent and on the evaporator case where the blower would normally be. Connect the two with a couple of decent size flex ducts--say 3 or 4 inches each. Have the hoses exit the top or side of vent adapter laying over the cardboard heater plenum and enter the rear of evaporator to keep them high and out of sight. Could then use the fresh air mode and heater motor to do the work. I think the air flow might be too little to do much good but anyway, there was today's first trip into comedyland for your amusement..

Posted on: 2011/8/31 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That would be just fine in low humidity areas. HEre in Tn. ass well as some other states the humidity is just too hi too often for that to be acceptable.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 11:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Have the 12v motor rewound to 6 volt????

Posted on: 2011/8/31 11:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
That would be just fine in low humidity areas. HEre in Tn. ass well as some other states the humidity is just too hi too often for that to be acceptable.

You're probably right. Humidity is a big consideration and with nothing but outside air and the air flow not much more than running on low all the time, not an optimal experience. Scratch the idea. I liked the 6v heater motor in place of the 12v better anyway--although the outside motor would eliminate two of your complaints--motor heat and noise.

Rewinding the motor may be a possibility although to me it's a big deal to spend $50 on a new heater motor and maybe 5 or 10 times that to have one rewound.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved