Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
286 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 286

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 43 44 45 (46) 47 48 49 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Found you one already! You should be getting a PM from one of our members soon!

Posted on: 2009/10/21 23:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
can you tell me what is better about the 56.

i am kinda trying to go purist with this restoration....i am still wanting to only install a 55 TU even though it may not be better than the 56. call me crazy. i did use the 55 torsion motor setup even though the 56 is better and i used the 55 torsion bar setup too even though the 56 you don't have to grease (i think) some say crazy others will applaud my efforts.

i am going to at least go talk to the guy at metal rehab and see what they can suggest first before i go get a new trans. i don't know, i guess i am just very hard headed. again....my youth. i guess part of me wants to see this thing alive again, no matter what. i wanna say...heck yeah i did that even when the odds seemed like it couldn't happen. i could take the easy way out and just buy another one, but right now i am not quite ready for that yet.

i did get the PM and after i talk to metal rehab i will beable to make my mind up more on what to do about the trans.

can you tell me what a decent price would be for one, i have no idea.

i know there is a complete 352 w/ trans near me for about 500 bucks, but i am guessing the trans alone is worth that or more. i don't really know though.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 10:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
oh and thanks everyone for the continued support! it helps me keep my head up.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 10:32
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also can someone post up what the inside of these transmission should normally look like.....just wondering as this is my first trans to see inside of.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 10:51
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
can you tell me what is better about the 56.

Sure, #1, it's all aluminum so it's lighter.
#2, they made a lot of upgrades in that year concerning the torque converter, valve body, front and rear pumps, governors, etc. It really is a better trans than the '55.

As for being a "purist", it bolts right in, looks identical when painted, and unless someone crawls under the car with a magnet they're never going to know. To me, the choice is obvious.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
understood, thanks for telling me ;0) and since it is all aluminum...no rust ;0) LOL!

now what would a 56 decent trans cost me per say.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 11:11
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I sold my last good one for $500. If I were to buy one that's what I'd expect to pay for a complete, usable trans. That's a trans that you should, after replacing gaskets, be able to use.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
what is the part in the picture that the arrow is pointing to.

anyone put a push button trans into a non push button and run into problems?

this is a 56 TU.

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (49.22 KB)
491_4ae0def3b7318.jpg 640X550 px

Posted on: 2009/10/22 17:39
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pressure switch that keeps trans from being able to shift into park, neutral or reverse when going over a few MPH.

As to converting, The PB unit itself will bolt onto any 56 trans and probably 55 also. There have been many conversions, probably most of them from PB to lever when the unit acts up & people like MrPB are not known to the owner. I have gone the other way on a couple by installing the electric unit and it is not a difficult job either way other than the work on steering column.

Also check thru the tech bulletins. There are 3 or 4 detailing the several trans differences or changes from 55-56.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That is the pressure switch to lock out the P/R/N buttons on the pushbutton setup. All you need to do is remove it and plug it.

As for the shift motor, the shift arm on your trans will fit right in it's place. This is a no-brainer swap, really.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 18:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 43 44 45 (46) 47 48 49 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved