Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: When and how the luxury market dominance was being lost?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Gosh, Mr. PB, I'm really sorry to hear this news. That certainly makes this morning's announcement about the loan package bittersweet. I know we're approaching the end of the calendar and budget years, but why do companies have to wait until the holiday season to do this to so many people?

You might want to set up a profile on LinkedIn to see if you can connect with other former Big Three employees and see if they know of any additional opportunities where they found their own new jobs at. If you want me to keep my ears open for something specific job-wise, just let me know.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John, I feel your pain. Here where I work, (Cessna) they just laid off over 500 people. Luckily I wasn't one of them. There's talk of 1500 more next March, and if that's the case, I'm gone.(Even though there's supposedly a clause that gives Union Stewards uber-seniority and I won't be laid off, but I don't know if it's true) The bad part here is, there's nowhere else to go here, and I'd have to work at McDonalds during the day and Burger King during the night just to come close to making what I make here now. So, I've decided if I do get laid off, I'm gonna sit at home, draw unemployment, and see what it feels like to be a Democrat for a while.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
PB.

BE SURE to apply for UE immediately. It is very important REGARDLESS of job prospects, need, or anything else.

Once enrolled on UE then finding a new position on your own or thru UE office will be much faster and rewarding. Employers have to pay an UE insurance premium and will get a credit for each new hire from the UE roll. So they are more likely to hire a UE recipient than one that is not on UE.

DRAG your feet on getting a new job too. The longer u're on the UE the better. Watch for companies doing mass hireing of say 6 or more positions to fill and avoid those that only have 1 or 2 positions to fill. Be careful in reading the employment classifieds or internet job search sites. Even in good times about 60-70% of the 'help wanted' ads are phony ads and no such position exists. This is very true of interviews that UE will send u on. So be sure to drag your feet on interviewing and try to pick the most promising prospects that are mass hireing, specify compensation and are specific in wording of the ad.

Head Hunters:
They will send u on wild goose chases also just to impress client companies with 'window dressing'. And guess what, they will use YOU as the window dressing if u appear and interview well.

I've been fired almost as many times as i've been hired over the years. It's just something that one becomes accustom to after a while. But if this is your first time then it can be very disenchanting as it is to many others.

Be vigilent in your job search and don't let the personel agencies and departments send u on any wild goose chases.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 22:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mr. PB: Catipiller just announced that they are going to open and engine factory in Seguin, Texas. It is near Austin and San Antonio. Estimates are for about 1,400 employees. Does this help?

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
The auto companies in Japan like Toyota and others helped fuel the Japanese war machine. I am not going to sit back and review my posts after I have typed them and try to make sure that they are politically correct.

John, I'm with you on this one.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Bob51: People tend to forget the history of events leading up to WWII and the actions of Japan. During the 30's the war that they waged against China, that generation of Japanese were BARBAREIANS.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/12/20 22:06
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I always get worried whenever scrap metal prices rise dramatically as we saw from 2004 thru sept 08.. Just prior to WWII the japanese were buying up US scrap metal at magnificant quantities. Then shot it rite back at us.

THEN, when WWII broke out there were plenty of fine classics such as Cord, Packards, Cadillac etc setting around that could be bought for damned near nothing in the range of $25. It was a moot point to buy one. No tires, no anitfreeze no NOTHING due to rationing.

The problem here is that the daycare generation x'ers and the false prophet right wing moron majority, and the envioronmental heroes with their college degrees from little Bo-peep university really do NOT have a clue.

That's just the way it is.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 22:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
Bob51: People tend to forget the history of events leading up to WWII and the actions of Japan. During the 30's the war that they waged against China, that generation of Japanese were BARBAREIANS.

John F. Shireman

And don't forget the Germans. The atrocities against the the Jews and Roma and Slavic peoples has no parallel in human history. It was always in the back of my mind when I owned a Mercedes that that same company (using slave labour)built vehicles, , aero and marine engines which helped to transport Hitler's hordes across Europe. I now drive a Ford Crown Victoria and a Volvo 240 made here in good old Canada.
The present generations of these countries weren't even born when these atrocities occurred so perhaps it would be best to forgive but not forget.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 9:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Just prior to WWII the japanese were buying up US scrap metal at magnificant quantities. Then shot it rite back at us.

My recollection of history is that F.D.Roosevelt placed an oil(USA was actually a big exporter of oil) and steel embargo against Japan in the summer of 1941 while not so secretly supporting China.It has been suggested by some historians that this was viewed by Japan as a principal provocation for the Pearl Harbor attack.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" It was always in the back of my mind when I owned a Mercedes that that same company (using slave labour)built vehicles, ..... I now drive a Ford Crown Victoria "

1. I will refer comment back to Paragrapgh 3 of post #67 above.

2. I will let someone else explain the abusrdity of the above quote. I know Packard53 can explain it. Probabaly MrPushbutton and Packards1 also can. Or maybe go read some old copies of the Dearborn Centinnel ca 1920's-40's.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 10:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved