Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 262

James Kallman, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 75 76 77 (78) 79 80 81 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thanks Mal, I have just seen the 37 Super dashboard and am extremely impressed with Tony's work. I am running out of excuses to get the 37 Super back on the road. Best Regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (169.37 KB)
154_4dd78ccba62b4.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/5/21 4:57
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Looking forward to seeing your '37 Super 8 Coupe on the road.

In fact, when I do, you might indulge me with a ride in the rumbleseat!

Posted on: 2011/5/21 5:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Friday 20th May 2011.....pallet of Club Stock parts......I found a pair of '40 110 front quarter window frames, which are better than the ones in the Coupe. Now all I have to do is determine if they fit!.....

The picture says it all!

Attach file:

jpg  (21.93 KB)
226_4dd7958624a9d.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/5/21 5:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 23rd May 2011

Not at the workshop today, or for the rest of this week for that matter.

In the box of parts received from MM's, just after Wade headed for Tasmania last month, were 2 rear window seals, one for Big Red and one for Harvey. Harvey's was delivered to him yesterday at our PACA run to the Appin Bi-Centennial Festival. Today, I believe Wade, with assistance from brother Rex, is removing the rear window from Big Red to have new glass cut. Wade says he's tired of having to cover the luggage in the boot(trunk) with plastic to keep it dry!

Instead of the workshop, my Packard fix for the day consisted of receiving the Aussie eBay purchases, of some Packard books I had made recently, what else? The book of Service Letters for 14th - 20th series mentioned in post #13 of this thread was bought at the starting bid of AU$12!!!! I also managed to obtain an autographed copy of Robert Neal's Packards at Speed, also at the starting bid, but at AU$66 a little more expensive. Another who also benefited was Snapey and, so we didn't cut each others throats. advised each other which items we were interested in and bidding on. Besides the five Packard specific books I also won another 5 books mostly with an Australian motoring flavour, I'm very happy with the books I won as I'm sure Matt is with the over 10kg(22lbs) of books he won. He did mention he's blaming me for the hole it's made in his wallet though.

And a thought for DavidM, who with Veronique, is leaving tomorrow on a European holiday. During their trip they are participating in the 8th Euro Packard Meet, June 2-5, Normandy, France. Although not taking a Packard, David did look into the logistics and costs of doing so but decided against it. Have a great holiday!

Attach file:

jpg  (22.14 KB)
226_4dda20464570d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.72 KB)
226_4dda2056f3b94.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (10.63 KB)
226_4dda206415949.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.70 KB)
226_4dda207174738.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.90 KB)
226_4dda20877a5b4.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (23.24 KB)
226_4dda20a5678bc.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/5/23 4:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Mal, Thanks for that, I am sure we will have a great time with the Packard Club of France rally, even though we will be in a tiny French rental car. A cardboard Packard grille might be the go! No? I didn't think so.
David

Posted on: 2011/5/23 7:34

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 24th May 2011

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Monday 23rd May 2011 Not at the workshop today, or for the rest of this week for that matter........
Seems like I told a lie because I did drop into the workshop this morning! Cleared the Post Office box, which is nearby, for the Packard Club and took the opportunity to give the shop dog, Misty, a bone. Also took the chance to take some pic's of Big Red sans rear window.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.97 KB)
226_4ddb0a379fd19.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.65 KB)
226_4ddb0a469f21f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.77 KB)
226_4ddb0a5878ecd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 26th May 2011

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Tuesday 24th May 2011......I did drop into the workshop this morning! Cleared the Post Office box, which is nearby, for the Packard Club and took the opportunity to give the shop dog, Misty, a bone......

Same again today, PO Box cleared and Misty was again the lucky recipient of another lamb leg bone.

So, instead of Wade's Workshop, todays treatise is going to be more like Mal's Meanderings!

Tuesday received a call from JohnM, he of the TJ Richards bodied '39 Six Sedan which Wade has worked on from time to time. John had spoken to Wade about getting the dings and scrapes on the '39 fixed and Wade had pointed John in my direction. Why? Because I'd found a guy, Col about 3 years ago, who fixed the dings and scrapes on my '38 Eight. The fixing of the '38 is covered in my previous blog Mal's '41 120 Coupe from Page 26, Post #251 on, it also has pic's of John's '39. Luckily I'd kept my diary from 2008 and was able to find Col's contact details and phone him. Arranged with Col to bring the '39 over early Thursday afternoon for a quote for the repairs, so all was going well. But when I called John he advised he had an appointment to see the Vet so his cat could have it's Feline Flu injection. Now, what's more important, a cat or a Packard? John saw reason and was going to reschedule the Vet visit in favour of getting the Packard prettied up. But, another But you say? Yes, another But! But, when I phoned John again to confirm everything was now set for Thursday afternoon, he then informed me the '39 was not drivable at present! Apparently the throttle linkage has been removed for machining of new pins to help take up the slack which has developed over the years. John was concerned he wasn't getting all the throttle response he should and found the carb only opens to about 70% of it's potential. Then rang Col and explained the situation, which he took real well, and advised I'll be in contact again once the '39 is running.

As you'll be well aware, my ego feeds off this Blog. And that's funny because BP, Before Packards, my ego was reasonably under control. Since owning Packards, coupled with this Blog, it's gone beserk! So yesterday when I saw this Blog had received 100,000 views I had to take a picture of what, to me, was a momentous occasion. Then I noticed another Blog, Joe's "The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan" was at 12344 I waited until it clicked over to 1-2-3-4-5 a momentous occasion in itself in a progression of numbers. Something about a certain members Forum name and an association with figures come to mind?

EDIT - Click on pic's for a larger, clearer image to open in another window. There's the ego kicking in again!

Attach file:

jpg  (29.32 KB)
226_4dddeac79744e.jpg 912X326 px

jpg  (25.53 KB)
226_4dddead6477cf.jpg 912X302 px

Posted on: 2011/5/26 1:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 30th May 2011

Shortly after I arrived at the workshop so too did a parcel for Wade. What could it be? Why a water pump needing to be rebuilt for a '36 Packard, of course. Seems that Wade's prowess in doing this is spreading, with this one being forwarded by a Hot Rod shop in Queensland, about 540 miles north! From the info with it, it looks like the owner might be a PACA member, although his first name differs from that shown in the Club Registry. Then shortly after that, Wade had a call from Ed, a PACA guy with a '37 120 Touring Sedan. Ed needs some help with his brakes and was going to have Brookers Brakes look at them but old Col there knee's aren't what they used to be so Wade will do so in a couple of weeks time. Reason being Wade is presently readying Big Red for another Rally over the weekend of 11th - 13th June. The Rally is PACA's Victoria Regions annual "Border Run" and this year is centered on Stawell and Ararat. After 2,500 miles in Tasmania we're probably looking at another 1,500 miles for the Border Run so Big Red needs to be in good shape.

That's what the day entailed, work and maintenance on Big Red. As mentioned last week, Wade removed the rear window and is having new glass cut to replace it. The leak that had developed, because of the old rubber gasket being past its use by date, required some clean up work on the window's body surround which had some surface rust. Cleaned up with a wire brush in drill, prepped and POR-15 to seal the job and now good for another 70+ years. Also painted one of the rear window retaining/surround channel pieces with POR-15, Wade having cleaned it last week. An unexpected repair also raised it's head when Wade opened the right rear door of Big Red to access the rear window, neither the footlight or the dome light came on and opening the left rear door did! So, the door switch was removed, tested(too many Ohms, apparently should be Zero), opened up, contacts cleaned, retested(OK), re-assembled and re-installed.

Next, the powrplant. But before starting on it in earnest, Wade demonstrated a slight hesitation which had developed in the engine. Plugs out, cleaned, would have re-gapped but all were still at 0.028", so back in they went. Started up, but still a hesitation. Next the distributor, so leads and cap off, unbolted and out it came. Into the vice where the points gap was found to be probably only half the 0.015" it should be. Before re-gapping, the points were lightly dressed, a light lube of the distributor cam, re-gapped, cap checked and back in the distributor went. Started up but still a slight, although much improved, hesitation. Then noticed there was a slight "weep" from the top of the float bowl cover of the carb, screws tightened and - no hesitation! As the saying goes, "just needed a tune up"!

During the Tour of Tasmania, Australia's coldest State, Big Red had been without the benefit of a working heater. Before leaving for Tassie Wade had rigged up a temporary valve so the water flow to the heater could be regulated, because the one on the head outlet was leaking. And very successful he was too, just not as intended! The temporary valve was mounted on the firewall but..... it was mounted too high causing an air pocket which wouldn't clear resulting in no heat just some gurgling noises from the direction of the heater. Today out came the temporary valve, heater hose connected to the valve on the cylinder head, which is fully open and not leaking in that position, and now there should be heat even though it will be continuous. Thankfully, with Oz now in winter, that won't be a problem.

Allied to the leaking rear window, Big Red's rubberoid roof is mis-behaving itself as well. You'll remember from a previous post that this had happened before, but in case you don't I've included this Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Friday 18th February 2011.....Wade then turned to giving Big Red some attention. When out in it during the week a leaking roof became evident. It was OK when moving but when parked for a while, because of the curvature of the rubberoid insert, water tends to pool in the rear corners and leak through into the headliner of the rear passenger compartment.......Fix, and it's only a "quick fix" was to apply silicone sealant to the inside and outside raised edging of the roof insert. The roof insert will be replaced properly at a future date Wade tells me.......
And another more recent Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Tuesday 17th May 2011 Back at the workshop it was Big Red cleaning time..... before starting washing, Wade warned me about another problem that had developed on the trip, the front of the roof insert had developed a leak. Previously the rear of the insert had leaked but this had been sealed before departure. The trip travel and body flexing combined with the 70+ years top resulting in another "minor" matter to fix. It'll be resealed in the next few days in the same manner as the rear was
So next it was Wade, up a ladder, with silicone sealer cartridge and gun re-caulking the front of the roof insert. Although this is nothing like Silicone implants, Big Red is "a bit of a tart"!

And still another, although unrelated Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Tuesday 8th February 2011.....During the course of this had a phone call from Clynton, one of the guys in our Packard Club, who was enquiring about a bug screen for mid/late 30's Packards I'd advertised in our club magazine. Unfortunately he was beaten to the prize by Peter, who last night called and acquired the screen. Best part of it, it was free, because another club member wanted to get rid of it and rather than have it go to the dump I "saved" it and advertised if anyone might need it......
I mentioned Ed earlier and it's co-incidental that Peter, the guy who scored the bug screen rang me last night. He wanted 1) to thank me for the screen, no need to really, and 2) Ed's phone number, so he could talk to Ed about the fastenings on it. Peter comes from Melbourne and has a '40 120 Convertible Coupe he'll use the screen on. I also took the opportunity to invite Peter to drop into the workshop on his return journey to Melbourne tomorrow. Hope he does, it's always good to meet another Packard owner and put faces to names.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.20 KB)
226_4de35e897b2c4.jpg 640X463 px

jpg  (33.92 KB)
226_4de35ea9e2547.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.73 KB)
226_4de35ebada1de.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.75 KB)
226_4de35ed9ca217.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.43 KB)
226_4de35ef4a23ed.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.19 KB)
226_4de35f1e44441.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.88 KB)
226_4de35f2f56b63.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.86 KB)
226_4de35f3e6184c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.08 KB)
226_4de35f4be853e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.05 KB)
226_4de35f5938433.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.76 KB)
226_4de35f6f2aa0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.34 KB)
226_4de35f869a4c0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.64 KB)
226_4de35f9a709fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.97 KB)
226_4de35fa986b92.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.78 KB)
226_4de35ff14a952.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/5/30 4:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 31st May 2011

In removing Big Red's rear window last week Wade also had to remove the rear window blind. The blind is a roller type, anchored on the shelf behind the top of the rear seat and pulls up to close. But in loosening the left side blind mount one of the screws snapped. Time was spent to determine whether the snapped off screw could be accessed from inside the boot(trunk). It can't. Reason being the piece behind the back of the rear seat is timber so the screw didn't penetrate. If it had been metal then we'd have been in business. Also topped up the oil in Big Red, needed a bit of a drink after it's 2,500 mile southern jaunt recently.

After I left yesterday Wade had dis-assembled the '36 water pump and that was the next item turned to. Set about cleaning the housing and impeller so it was in respectable condition for a trip to ABC Bearings. Cleaning done, off to ABC where Dennis sourced a double row bearing to replace the bronze bush in the pumps snout. Also picked up the ceramic seal required. Back at the workshop set about properly cleaning the pump pieces in the wire wheel and blasting cabinet. During the cleaning the pump backing plate revealed it's true self with a number of brazing repairs evident. What did Wade do? Why go to the shelf, he had another sitting there. It's like a magic lucky dip, most times you stick your hand in you come up with a prize!

While I was cleaning, Wade was drawing up new plans for the machining required on this water pump and also thinking anew about it. Upshot is there's likely to be another trip to ABC to source another bearing as part of the rebuild package. And Big Red received further attention with Wade checking the timing using John's timing light. Needed a little adjustment and in doing so Wade noticed, in the gloom of the workshop, something he didn't want to see. Number 5 spark plug was intermittently shorting across to the distributor! Fix was to remove the distributor cap and leads and insulate #5 and #4 plug leads, which is also in close proximity to the distributor, using shrink wrap tubing. Worked!

Tomorrow, weather permitting because it's been wet the last couple of days, Big Red is off to Ralph Moore Autoglass at Mascot for fitment of the new rear window glass and rubber gasket.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.48 KB)
226_4de4834f42780.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.93 KB)
226_4de48362e2042.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.92 KB)
226_4de4837e4fb57.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.25 KB)
226_4de48396173f6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.51 KB)
226_4de483a934b16.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.74 KB)
226_4de483b89c7a6.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.73 KB)
226_4de483c385b34.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/5/31 1:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 1st June 2011

First day of winter here in Oz, with grey skies and the prospect of rain in Sydney. Wade was backing Big Red out of the workshop when I arrived and I hung around while he parked it. Just as well, had to holler out Whoa! Otherwise the boot(trunk) and luggage rack would have suffered damage from the caravan, and it's large tow bar, he was backing into. Then rounded up some plastic and tape, which could be needed to temporarily seal the rear window if it rained on the way to the Ralph Moore Autoglass. Fortunately it didn't. Once there Greg, Ralph's right hand man, swung into action. Sorry, wrong words, Greg's not the sort of guy to swing into action. Greg initially spoke with Wade about the situation and explained what and how he was going to do the job. Then he carefully assessed each step, making sure he had the right tools, equipment and sealer. Making use of Wade a number of times. Wade held the outer trim strip in place while Greg applied sealer, or held the glass in place, moved the glass around to obtain centre and assisted with fitment of the rear window internal retaining channel, etc. etc. Took about 2&1/2 hours for fitment, now the rear window is the best part of Big Red. Well, it's the newest at least!

Back at the workshop, but it was really only a pitstop, picked up a piece of the stripping which goes between the rear window internal retaining channel and the internal window moulding. Also picked up the '36 water pump impeller, the drawing Wade had roughed out to include another bearing in the pump and the new shaft and bearing for the '38 water pump which has been sitting on the bench for months now. Concerning the '38 pump, Wade has been waiting for the seal to arrive but with it's non appearance to date has decided to use a locally available seal with machining to suit. First stop ABC Bearings where a small bearing for the '36 was found, this too will entail machining work but that was going to be done anyway, just means the scope of work expands a bit. Next was a seal for the '38 pump which was readily available. Wade can just about now tell Dennis what seal fits what application without reference to notes. That done, round the corner to Grippy Rubber where Wade picked up 1.6 metres of 12mm x 4.5mm adhesive backed neoprene to use in the rear window internal retaining channel in place of the original fibre strip.

Back at the workshop, again, but this time for good for the afternoon. First the neoprene strip was cut to length and inserted in in the rear window internal retaining channel. Then turned to the water pumps with measurements taken, seals trial fitted if possible, drawings made and the fan pulley flange pushed off the old '38 impeller shaft. Wade will draft some more presentable drawings for the machining work. The pumps and hardware will go to the machinist early next week and hopefully will be ready by the time Wade returns from the Border Run. Then into The Fossil. Wade in talking to and assisting Greg with Big Red's rear window had mentioned the installation of the rear window in The Fossil. Together with what was observed today Greg gave advice about trial fitment of the window and what to look for there. From the trial fit of the new glass in the new rubber gasket together with making a cardboard template of the window opening/outline there may be a problem because it doesn't fit as well as it should. Wade, together with the glass, gasket, cardboard template, will be seeking further advice from Greg in due course. Last thing attended to was Big Red's timing. Because on to way to ABC Bearings, the engine was pinging under hard acceleration up a hill! Timing was retarded a bit and re-checked with the timing light.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.52 KB)
226_4de60889a6d43.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.98 KB)
226_4de608abb49dd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.90 KB)
226_4de608c0d4a9f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.78 KB)
226_4de608dad5310.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.45 KB)
226_4de608ebc9c38.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.69 KB)
226_4de609baa1053.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.38 KB)
226_4de609cf8b676.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.70 KB)
226_4de609e34c1f5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.66 KB)
226_4de609f212a3d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.11 KB)
226_4de60a157d9ef.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.10 KB)
226_4de60a42f0c63.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.17 KB)
226_4de60a5696b75.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.38 KB)
226_4de60a6e3d1ba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.84 KB)
226_4de60a8b0e4d4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.82 KB)
226_4de60ab1a8ac5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.09 KB)
226_4de60ac24a398.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.64 KB)
226_4de60ada5b5b2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/1 4:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 75 76 77 (78) 79 80 81 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved