Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 23:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wasn't underneath brought up some months ago and Craig mentioned he had looked into that possibility but the V8 frame depth was marginal for a vacuum booster. Believe he said it would mean something hanging down or else making a hump in the floor for proper clearance.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 23:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 23:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
But do you think complete failures of a system occurs without visible reason?
Not quite sure what the question is but I am hoping he finds something, but not expecting it. As to any agency, I don't know what is here that would be interested in a 60 year old long out of business car company in that respect--and at any rate, am sure it wouldn't be free if there is such a place.

In order to suck fluid, would expect a severely pitted piston rod or cracked & damaged seal but would think that would be noticed in spongy brakes beforehand. Because of mounting angle, don't think enough would be drained out to have complete failure--but can't prove that so another reason for his evaluation as to whether any fluid & where. It is possible if fluid completely empty in cylinder, something external to BTV is the issue.

Since the failure was so sudden and if it is BTV, I am leaning more toward the compensator valve--either sediment and junk in the lower cylinder which because of the mounting angle floats up and lodges directly under the valve lip preventing it from closing tightly, or as others have mentioned many times, the small spring & clip that keeps the valve in position is usually not replaced in a rebuild and might be either broken or the clip holding spring to the rod dislodged. If the valve itself wasn't replaced with the rebuild, it might also be at fault.

At any rate, no matter what the system be it manual or power, catastrophic failures can happen. I had a manual 64 Chevelle fail and went gliding thru a 4 way stop. Would still like to see if we can come up with something bolt in or minimal mod for the Packards though for just these types of situations and people that have lost confidence. So far, while there have been solutions, except for Craigs they all require more changes than I think the average owner would consider. The BTV replacement advertised may be a viable option but I no longer have a test car to play with. Am considering buying one and trying superficial fit, but my car isn't apart & hasn't gone further than the driveway in years so with 4 square tires, it won't get tested. Not having any heavy fabrication skills or equipment like Eric or Craig will also be an issue.

Someone asked if earlier years were also prone to failure, and I can't answer that but they sure do not get the airplay the V8 does. The only major difference I can think of is heat is on the other side of engines in earlier cars whereas V8's have an exhaust manifold very close so maybe that has something to do with it.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, you realize that the TV wasn't made by Packard but by Bendix, a company still very much in business supplying brake systems and components to the car and truck/bus industries?

I wonder what response a letter to Bendix asking about copies of TV service bulletins would bring? They certainly were very responsive a few years ago when I requested similar information and parts lists for their B-K system used on the mechanical brake system of Senior Packards 1836 and back.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be an interesting question and possibly might get an answer but still a 50+ year old out of production car and item. While millions made, would expect substantially all are long gone so not much urgency. Almost everything is considered obsolete here in 10-15 years--some much less than that so still doubt there would be any interest.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I did search their on-line archives of service bulletins but they didn't go back that far. Perhaps I'll write them a letter.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 12:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
look bottom line is we all have choices to make. i can choose to drive a motorcycle knowing very well it could be bad if i lost control, or if a tire blew out while going 70 on the highway....

look point is, breathing gives you cancer, so just live your dang life the way you want.

Turbo, Craig, others:

i wont knock you for NOT using the BTV and i would think you would respect those who choose TO use it. i didn't see you knocking me for NOT using the 56 TU, you told me why it was potentially better and when i told you i went with the 55.....you seemed to respect that....i would hope you would be the same with the BTV or not to BTV scenario.

personally i plan to use it, but not for dash plaques. i want it because that is what the car came with. like i said when i drive this car out of the garage when i'm done, i want it to be like driving it off the lot in 1955. you CANNOT get that type of experience changing out the BTV. another reason i went with bias ply and not radial remakes.

i would like to know what causes this thing to fail, that is what we should be focusing on, not bashing others for using it. even with new stuff.....it is all mechanical and built by imperfect humans and can fail....we all take a chance everytime we start our cars, whether....1955 or 2009, doesn't matter.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 12:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved