Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

39Rollson, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96) 97 98 99 ... 258 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Title Release/Transfer document arrived today. Thanks Doug!

Next stop...DMV.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 23:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Chaney
See User information
You're welcome!

Good luck!!

Posted on: 2010/10/26 6:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tried the DMV this morning....no joy. They wont proceed with anything until I am able to get the vehicle number verified as it doesn't exist in their system anymore. So that means I have to get the car down to DMV for them to check the numbers.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 12:44
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Which means it needs to be in somewhat presentable shape--not sure the ventilated floors will be looked at kindly if seen-- an appointment subject to last minute cancellation on their part, a car hauler (unless they miraculously gave you a suspense permit), a trip down there and upon arrival, only to be told the inspector is off or running late that day----I could go on but it only gets more depressing. A good friend went thru that scenario 3 or 4 times here with his 53. I was lucky and just had the paperwork hell at DMV but didn't have to do the inspection. I sometimes think our bureaucrats are given bonus points for making a supposedly car friendly state much less so for older cars. Probably because they're considered polluters and have few recurring or high dollar fees.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 12:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure it's an operating inspection, just a Vehicle Number inspection. Basically to verify the numbers I am giving them on the paperwork, match the car, and whether or not the State will issue me a CA generated VIN number since it was last registered using the engine number. I'm trying to see if the AAA offers that service, or possibly the local CHP office. Or I have to take it down to DMV.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 13:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Kev,

Based on the experience I had in Illinois, you will have to take it to the state inspection station.

Basically, from what I understand, they want to ensure that the numbers are matching and that the car exists; furthermore to ensure it is not a compilation of several cars. This is performed, at least in Illinois, regardless of if a person has the title or not; however, this could be different in California.

I do not think that the condition of the car will matter, especially since the car is in the process of restoration.

Maybe you can get right in, but I had to make an appointment roughly 6 weeks ahead.

The fun part with my car was trying to convince the state that the "I" on the firewall was Packard's way of saying "1"

They recorded my engine number, firewall number, theftproof number, steering column number, and frame number.

The other tricky thing you may have to watch out for is for when they run the number. This may not be a problem for your car, but on mine, they had a database that told them that my firewall number had to be in a certain number range. Unfortunately, the number ranges they had in their system were from someones screwed up information. I produced Dave's article and the Packard parts book as proof. All screwed up.

Supposedly this is coming up due to the large number of stolen antique vehicles.

I do not think that they will need to issue you a state vin tag because the car is a factory produced car and not a hot rod/kit car/custom motorcycle.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2010/10/27 13:24
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Calif DMV can be an odd beast. The problem is that the VN plate on my car is missing, and it was last registered using the Engine number. Also there is no record in the DMV system as it's to old. So the only other numbers iare the Briggs number, theft proof number, or engine. They typically wont use the engine number, and the briggs number is just screwed on. So hopefully they will use the Theft Proof number, or they will issue me a very long CA VIN number, which will then be affixed to the vehicle.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 13:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This is why I ALWAYS get the vehicle in my name before I start working on the car. I've heard too many horror stories of people getting a call all finished and spent a ton of money on it only to find out that they can't get a title for it, it was stolen, etc. No thanks.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 13:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
...and the briggs number is just screwed on...

Hopefully this isn't a problem, my vin tag is just screwed on as well. We re-affixed it just before the inspection.

Can you get a reproduction tag? But I guess that would require a lot of digging to obtain the old original vin tag information.

I can see them using the theft proof number because it is stamped into the car. Not to say you would ever do this, but the engine might change, the chassis might change, but the body would require heavy modification to change, therefore the theft proof number is good.

just my

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2010/10/27 15:27
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:

I've heard too many horror stories of people getting a call all finished and spent a ton of money on it only to find out that they can't get a title for it...

My wife threatened to divorce me if I didn't get the title after pouring the money into the car. Thankfully it ended peacefully.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 15:30
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96) 97 98 99 ... 258 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved