Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

BigKev, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

America's First Muscle Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information

Posted on: 2012/8/3 23:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: America's First Muscle Car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the link and story. I've had the pleasure of driving a couple of 734 Speedsters over the years and it's quite an experience!! One could argue at length over what was the very first "muscle car", probably depends a lot on your definition. But a contender for the title, and well before the Packard Speedster, was a very early (190?) Stanley when they placed an oversize boiler in a light body. I believe this was the concept behind the Stanley racer that said such phenonemal records.

And there were others, gasoline-powered, that did similar things in the very early years - was it Locomobile (correction - Peerless) with the "Green Dragon"? The "Blitzen Benz"? Sorry, I don't recall the specifics.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 6:40
 Top  Print   

Re: America's First Muscle Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Thanks Joe for the great post.

The dictionary definition is essentially "stuffing an oversized engine into a compact powertrain". I don't remember when the term "muscle car" came into usage. That would be an interesting project. When I lived in XXXXXX the university had bound copies of the major car magazines back to WWII. They were untouched and unpillaged. Fantastic documents which all too often get vandalized by collectors armed with razor blades. The 904 Dual Cowl road test was memorable as was the Duesenberg J road test.

Anyway, that two tone green color scheme (engine green body, darker green fenders) seems to have been a Packard favorite. Hirsch's 745 had it as did Jepson's touring car (it featured dark olive green leather), as was another clean original 734 touring car. Another Packard special was two tone grey with orange accents. Both go back to the early Model 30.

The article mentions the sole surviving Speedster Victoria. Once there were two. They were both original running driving cars with weathered original lacquer paint. One is in Turnquist's book. They were owned by a guy named Hoeschbaker. One ended up at Harrah's and the other disassembled and scattered. The body is supposedly in Australia. I saw a boattail in similar shape next to a mint original 645 coupe in a Maryland warehouse.

As for performance, those headlights cost about 4-5 mph each and the windshield another 6-8 mph. So if they consulted Dietrich on design the car would have been in the Duesenberg class for top speed.

Posted on: 2012/8/4 11:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved