Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

ice age
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I always thought, Packard added A/C in 1939 to a 1939 built car.

source: confessionsofamodernwitch.blogspot.de

Attach file:

jpg  (79.13 KB)
757_50248f5f7d4b5.jpg 724X600 px

Posted on: 2012/8/9 23:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: ice age
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
OEM

Posted on: 2012/8/10 1:25
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:Gerd,

Sometimes I wonder about you, but now I'm starting to worry! What are you doing trawling through witches blogs? Have you turned to the darkside? Wait....it might be better if you don't answer that! We can either let our imaginations run wild or accept you were there purely for Packard research purposes.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 4:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

It must have been a prototype installation by a major manufacturer. Has anyone read or heard who that was since there is no mention of it in the article?

Thanks Gerd, interesting post, I've never seen this before!

Steve

Posted on: 2012/8/10 7:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that particular AC article came from a 1933 edition of Popular Science magazine. As was briefly touched upon, a company was dabbling with the concept and built that prototype hoping to perfect it. It was not sponsored by any of the auto mfgs. Not sure if it was the same company that did the first commercial building AC or not but was in that timeframe. Another magazine also mentioned the effort and went on to say it was shopped around a bit but in the depression, no one was really interested because of the cost, complexity and space required.

Looking at the mechanicals under the floor, it would have to have been a pretty large car. Not sure how many could have spared that much room. The method of driving the compressor was never mentioned but looking at the photo, had to have either been a separate motor or somehow off the axle.

Cadillac started experimenting with their AC version mid 30s. It apparently was a self contained unit hanging off the back end exterior to the trunk. Believe there is a photo circa 1938 or so posted in a thread here or maybe AACA.

Packard was doing their version concurrently in the same time frame as Cadillac but Packard persevered and was successful with a relatively small unit. For some reason Cadillac decided not to move forward with the prewar unit. Postwar, Cadillac did the work and Packard apparently lost interest.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to the article the comrepssor is driven by an electric motor powered by the cars generator. Looking at the lower rite photo it looks to me like an electric motor with pulley, Belt and flywheel on compressor. Article also indicaites possibility of a "special battery".

Does seem a bit huge tho for underfloor mounting.

Proabably very noisy too.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 9:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Today residential houshold voltage is 120v AC. Seems to me that prior to the 1970's it was 110v. Was there some other voltage used in residential houshold applications during the 1930's???

Posted on: 2012/8/10 9:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keith, Thanks for pointing out the electric motor driving the compressor. Just skimmed the article first time looking for the name of the NY company trying to make it work and missed it. I still think I remember another article mentioning the company or a person that worked for the company which did that first air conditioned theater being involved in the early auto attempt.

Interesting question about the voltage. I looked at a couple of sites and appears it was originally 110 DC chosen by Edison when he first wired commercially. When Tesla came up with AC he kept it because it was a convenient and efficient voltage. Also because some of the in use DC items of the time could actually be used on AC as well if the voltage remained the same. Another plus for adoption of the AC standard -- no massive customer revolt and the added efficiency of AC for the utility.

Later it went to 120 because that was a convenient voltage derived when using step down transformers. Today while nominally 120, it varies by region and load on the system with wide latitude on spec. Most modern appliances are designed to work reliably from 100 to 130. Other countries use different for various reasons.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Cadillac started experimenting with their AC version mid 30s. It apparently was a self contained unit hanging off the back end exterior to the trunk. Believe there is a photo circa 1938 or so posted in a thread here or maybe AACA.

Packard was doing their version concurrently in the same time frame as Cadillac but Packard persevered and was successful with a relatively small unit. For some reason Cadillac decided not to move forward with the prewar unit. Postwar, Cadillac did the work and Packard apparently lost interest.

Packard's first production of air conditioning was in the fall of 1939 and installed on 1940-1942 models -- offered and/or advertised as being available on all models, including six-cylinders and Clippers.

Cadillac followed suit for 1941 and 1942 with the exact same Bishop & Babcock unit, as did Chrysler in 1941 only (or 1942 only, I can't remember). I don't remember ever seeing an existing Cadillac with the system, and I know I've never seen a Chrysler with it. However, I've seen the factory literature for both companies, and it is exactly the same as the Packard literature in regards to showing how the system is set-up in the car.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 12:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
220......221.......whatever it takes.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 12:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved