Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 20 »

GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Okay, I probably should have started this two springs ago when I got the car, but it's better late then never. I figured I would let you all join me in my quest to install a new clutch. This is probably going to be the biggest job I have done on the '52 200 Deluxe, AKA "Lucille". I have never done a clutch before, so I will be learning as we go. Maybe this will be helpful to those of you out there needing to do the same.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z3-OaNevkfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let the FUN begin!!!

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/8/14 16:25
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print 

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Drive shaft is out! Even with tape, the bearing caps came off. luckily the tape kept them from hitting the ground and scattering needle bearings everywhere...phew! Next, I get everything holding the tranny in disconnected. Thank goodness I'm working under the shade of an oak tree.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.08 KB)
3628_502acb1bd8f47.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (22.03 KB)
3628_502acb30e3c86.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (30.20 KB)
3628_502acb4f3779e.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (19.79 KB)
3628_502acb5ab12b8.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/8/14 17:04
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Garrett, please be very careful working under "Lucille". Make sure you have her a good level work surface and jack stands securely placed. Now would be the time to collect on a favor one of your fiends owes you. Looking forward to your reports.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/14 17:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks John!

I sure will be careful, that is why the first thing I bought for my car was a cement slab. It took half of what I earned to have it poured, but it has enabled me to work safely. It will be a back breaking job, but I'm lookin' forward to working on her again. Last time I did any true work on her was probably back in June.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/8/14 17:15
Garrett

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
GearRat52 wrote:...Thank goodness I'm working under the shade of an oak tree.
Continuing the fine tradition of "shade tree mechanics".

Quote:
JW wrote:...Now would be the time to collect on a favor one of your fiends owes you...

Looking forward to following along Garrett, but watch out for those fiends!

Posted on: 2012/8/14 17:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Mal!

I will be continuing work Tomorrow. It is getting close to dinner time for me right now.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 17:33
Garrett

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Got the drive shaft all cleaned up today, along with the slip yoke. No one was here at home with me, so I put off being underneath the car.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (32.59 KB)
3628_502bf98a42309.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (26.07 KB)
3628_502bf9960b65c.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (38.62 KB)
3628_502bf9a02cadf.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 14:33
Garrett

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
For guys ona a budget and working on jackstands, here's my suggestion:

Try to avoid taking the trans out of the car unless you know it needs to for repairs. If you pop off the solenoid and governor--which you have to anyway-- you can just slide the trans straight back in the frame far enough to get it out of the clutch. Block and strap it place.
Take out the clutch and have a look. If the pressure plate is not all scored up and blue or cracked, you can reuse it. Otherwise, tell the counterman you need one for a Ford in the same diameter. Take the clutch disc down to the auto parts store, slap it on the counter and tell them you need one the same size for a Cheby.

Take a little dab of grease on your pinky and work it into the back of the pilot bearing and make sure it spins free. If the throwout bearing is doubtful, drill a small hole in the side of the sheetmetal and work a dab of grease in with your finger or a syringe. Plug the hole with some epoxy. Put it all back together and take it for a drive. That's how I did my 51 when bucks down 40K miles ago.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 20:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks for the tips Ross!

I have worried about doing the clutch on my car for sometime now. I ran out of money when I bought my tires, and have been doing side jobs to pay for the clutch. If I can reuse the pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing, that will get me out of a tight spot.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/8/15 22:33
Garrett

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Finally getting back to work on the clutch, as well as posting on "Packardinfo". This weekend our house got hit by lightning, it took out internet, phone, cable, and even some TV's. All of those things can be replaced and fixed though. Didn't get much done yesterday, except for taking off the lower clutch cover, (again). Tomorrow I will try to disconnect the speedo cable, rear trans mount, and shift linkage. I will probably have to wait for Saturday to get the trans pulled out. It is completely covered in a thick sludge, and could use a little cleaning and maybe paint.

Till tomorrow,

-Garrett

P.S. Not the greatest pics, sorry.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.42 KB)
3628_5036e8810b85c.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (36.36 KB)
3628_5036e89007860.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (20.61 KB)
3628_5036e89b617b7.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/8/23 21:36
Garrett

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved