Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 12 volt Overdrive solenoid (long post ..sorry)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
I'm in the negotiations stage to buy a 1950 Deluxe. Very nice example and great looking paint body and interior. It seems to have had a significant number of "updates" including a spin on oil filter, wire wheels, and a 12 volt conversion.

2 questions

1 is there a 1.25 inch 12 volt overdrive solenoid? I've seen the ones from 5th ave and vintage garage, and they are the wrong length at 1 inch.

2. With everything I've read about the needless conversion to 12v and how they should be left alone, is this a worthwhile purchase at $11k? I'm not looking at a rare or high dollar model and as a driver it's a beauty.

Opine away!

Steve (on his way to to being the man who owns 2.)

Attach file:

jpg  (37.42 KB)
2863_5090609654f62.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2012/10/30 18:20
Now, I am the man that owns one!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 12 volt Overdrive solenoid (long post ..sorry)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know of any other 12v solenoids repro'd other than 5th avenues. Will confess to never measuring an R11 solenoid which is what I assume is in the car. Maybe someone on the forum knows if the V8 OD solenoid will fit.

One possibility with the original is a voltage reducer/regulator to supply the OD system. If they left the OD solenoid alone, I'm wondering how the rest of the conversion was handled -- resistors or ??. Several things besides the solenoid are high current draw -- blower(s), radio, etc. How each was done might be a good question to ask.

Here is a unit that has been linked and mentioned more than once on the forum as a possibility to supply various items. Sounds like a good approach over resistors. He specifically mentions OD as one of the uses but I do concur with his recommendation for the 20amp version. Usually there are a few on ebay. Today I only see his 15amp.

Voltage Regulator

Posted on: 2012/10/30 18:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Thanks for the info. I have to ask the seller about the conversion. It appears he did part of the restoration and the collector that owned it before him with the big checkbook did some. I'll be sure to find out as much as I can about how the conversion is done so I know how to repair it if needs be.

Is it possible to change the solenoid shaft to a longer one?

What do you think of the value = price?

Posted on: 2012/10/30 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I know nothing about the mechanical questions you posed...BUT, I know a bit about 50 Packards! I have a 50 Packard Super De luxe 8 that is the love of my life. From your picture I see it looks like this one is a beauty. My car has been like therapy to me, I'd say that you could save $11K in stress related therapy alone. They are wonderful driving cars, I get great pleasure driving the car in the country and around the small town where I live. The last trip out I stopped for gas and three people came up and asked about the car; one took pictures! I say that you will get a lot of fun and friends for your money. I will try to add a pic of my car for your viewing pleasure,,,

Attach file:

jpg  (51.18 KB)
2923_509084ab48c86.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/30 20:53
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Thanks for the encouraging remarks.

You can't beat the look of a bathtub. I was actually looking for a Super. I like the grille and rear treatment, but this one is so well done I fell for it. I think the true wire wheels and great black paint did it for me.

Any issues I should look out for?

Here is another few pics.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.88 KB)
2863_5090921c33f5b.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  (44.59 KB)
2863_5090923750cb7.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2012/10/30 21:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Steve,

A stablemate for the Pat! The '50 looks great and don't forget to include it in the Registry when the tranaction is done.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 23:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Steve's 1st Packard wrote:
I
2 questions

1 is there a 1.25 inch 12 volt overdrive solenoid? I've seen the ones from 5th ave and vintage garage, and they are the wrong length at 1 inch.

Steve (on his way to to being the man who owns 2.)

Length of the solenoid plunger rod for the R-11 overdrive used in late 22nd to 54th Series Packards is just under 1" as shown in the attached photo. Add about 1/8" for the distance from the raised shoulder to the mounting flange.
The earlier R-9 solenoid rod is much longer at about 2-1/4", so no match at 1-1/4" for Packard applications.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.25 KB)
1137_5090c03a59676.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/10/31 1:09
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Good Technical info, thanks. Can you change the shaft or add/weld additional length? I also wanted to know what the manual knob for the overdrive does. is it a way to truly shift into overdrive or is it a different mode?

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (44.59 KB)
2863_50933d57bdfe7.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2012/11/1 22:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The knob pushed in allows OD to engage whenever the speed is appropriate. Pulled out, OD is completely locked out of operation as if the car didn't even have it. The 23rd series owners manual gives a better description.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/49_OwnersManual.pdf

The plunger could probably be replaced if the solenoid can be disassembled. I haven't tried taking one out though so not absolutely sure if anything is crimped or if it removes once the rear contact plate is out. Maybe could be welded as long as it was not installed in the solenoid when attempted.

If the shaft is 1" on the 5th avenue repro, it sounds as if it would fit per the R11 solenoid BDeB measured. The 23rd series should have the R11. Have you confirmed you need a longer solenoid?

Posted on: 2012/11/1 22:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
I'll have the car this weekend and will be able to crawl under it to get a look. is there a part number to reference? I also read somwhere that the R9 and R11 were wired in diferent ways can you shead any light on this?

Posted on: 2012/11/2 15:15
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved