Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

Ozstatman, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question about headlights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Hi! My question is about headlights for my 1950 Packard Super De Luxe 8. I have one that is burned out on the passenger side and I can't find a replacement locally. Any suggestions guys? I tried a NAPA in a town nearby and they asked what size the bulb is and what the prong set up is like?? I know the car is 6 volt and I thought that all the bulbs were universal???

Another question would be how do I remove the bulb without altering the aim!! I did that once on an old Buick I had and I illuminated the garage ceiling for a while! I'd bet you couldn't find a garage with a headlight aiming device anymore either!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love to drive my old gal at night!

Posted on: 2012/10/29 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Question about headlights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just changing the bulb should not alter the aim.
Some of our Texas members should be able to point you in the right direction to buy a six-volt bulb.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 20:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a 7" round. A 6006 should work but depending on how old your originals are there may be a slight difference in looks as far as the pattern in glass compared to the old bulb. The new bulb will most likely have small bumps on the glass for modern alignment tools. If that pattern difference is objectionable, the option is change both bulbs. If the bumps are an issue, at one time there was a supplier who was grinding off the bumps for the old time look. Haven't seen his ad for awhile but may still be around.

Remove the fender trim ring (probably a single screw on the bottom and a clip you will have to lift the trim ring over on top. Once removed, the entire headlight assy is exposed.

The bulb is held in by a thin chrome ring which has 3 screws in slots holding it to the main housing or bucket. Once those are loosened, the ring will rotate slightly and come free. As long as the two larger screws also in slots but holding the bucket are not moved, the adjustment should not change. In the bottom photo, one of the adjustment screws is at the top just under the clip. The other is not shown.

Notches on the back of glass fit into slots in the bucket so the bulb is oriented properly. Most bulbs either have the top labeled or are oriented so the brand name reads properly.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.98 KB)
209_508f345975ee7.jpg 713X363 px

jpg  (61.81 KB)
209_508f346c6b121.jpg 640X598 px

jpg  (50.78 KB)
209_508f3a03cb3cf.jpg 630X640 px

Posted on: 2012/10/29 20:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
HH56's reply covered the replacement quite nicely. I would just like to add that 7-inch round 6-volt replacement headlight bulbs are also available. Try Bill Hirsch.

(o[]o)

Edit: Meant to say these bulbs are also available as halogen types. I believe Hirsch has both tungsten and halogen bulbs.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 22:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks one and all! I will take the old bulb out this evening, and go looking tomorrow. I plan to buy two so they will match, and a SPARE! When I first bought the car I worried about the headlights being dim due to being a six volt car, but that is surely not true! This car is a pleasure to drive... day and night! Thanks again for the advice and the pictures!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 18:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved