Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Deluxe questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
I posted this in the Modifications forum but thought I'd put it here as well.

I'm in the negotiations stage to buy a 1950 Deluxe. Actually I've already agreed to it. It's a very nice example and great looking paint, body and interior. It seems to have had a significant number of "updates" including a spin on oil filter, wire wheels, and a 12 volt conversion.

2 questions

1 is there a 1.25 inch 12 volt overdrive solenoid? I've seen the ones from 5th ave and vintage garage, and they are the wrong length at 1 inch.

2. With everything I've read about the needless conversion to 12v and how they should be left alone, is this a worthwhile purchase? I'm not looking at a rare or high dollar model and as a driver it's a beauty.

Opine away!

Steve (on his way to to being the man who owns 2.)

Attach file:

jpg  (35.03 KB)
2863_50906216e1417.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2012/10/30 18:26
Now, I am the man that owns one!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Deluxe questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I would probably reconvert it back to 6V. Depending on how the original conversion was done, it shouldn't be too much trouble or cost. The wire wheels are not major problems either, unless changes were made to the breaks and other suspension components.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 21:47
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I agree with 49packard on trying to return to 6v. And that will resolve your issue of your overdrive solenoid. Regarding the spin-on oil filter...if you can tell it's a sping-on by looking at it, I would probably recommend looking into returning it to the original arrangement. When I bought my 50 Super, it had a totally incorrect filter housing (looked like something from later in the '50s) and rubber inlet/outlet tubing. I bought the correct housing and steel tubing from another colleague here on packardinfo.com and installed that instead. Looks much better now and will satisfy the most rigid of purists.
As for the wire wheels, I have the same ones. Purists (and I would classify myself as one of those) will always point out that these wheels weren't available until 1952. But I think they look fanastic on the 48-50 models, and I point out to them that an owner could always have taken his 48-50 into the dealer in 1952 and bought a set of wire wheels.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 6:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If it was converted to 12v with the original wires, should be no problem going back to 6v. If the car was rewired, you need to check the gauge and make sure they did not use the small gauge wires 12v can use, but not 6v. 6v needs the heavier wires.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 7:21
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Steve,

I see that the Packard's back up on ebay. No Sale??

Posted on: 2012/11/5 14:59
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved