Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 Super clipper trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Anyone got a pic of what a super clipper trunk should look like?

David

Posted on: 2012/11/2 19:36
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 Super clipper trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Procter, there was a recent discussion thread on this subject although I believe is was inconclusive as to what a Super trunk looks like. I posted a photo of my 47 Custom Clipper's trunk, but posters said they were different. Good to hear from you. All is well in Austin.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/2 21:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
A picture or description of 47 super clipper would be appreciated

thks

Posted on: 2012/11/12 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I don't have a photo, but the trunks of the preceding 160's and the uper Clippers are much simpler than many restored cars look today

Posted on: 2012/11/12 15:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's what my trunk looks like, the guy that had it before me added the carpet and red material on the back behind the tire.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (71.18 KB)
1003_50a255a4e8b12.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (69.48 KB)
1003_50a255d8dc8d4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (68.95 KB)
1003_50a255fe4782d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/13 9:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Not in the best of shape, but it is original.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (75.90 KB)
1003_50a25ab5bb9f0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/13 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are going for the original look, trying to find the flock material that goes over the fender wells will be the hard part. The original was longer fibers and fairly coarse -- probably to match what some have called a hogshair mat on the floor.

There are numerous discussions on the forum of the color and finish. One service counselor gave the name and part number for a color used on some models. IIRC, packards1 posted a photo of an original bag of the stuff.

I've looked at every site I can find that lists material for retail sale in small quantity. Colors can be mixed and a decent match could be made in that respect but the fiber at .030 (rayon) and .040 (nylon) length that seems to be available today is a much finer texture. I used it on the glovebox I made and would say that it probably would look more like a thin velour or velvet than what was there originally. Maybe that would be better than patchy bare metal though

Several places will custom make a batch in any fiber you want but you would have to have an assembly line to use it all.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 9:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "carpet" flooring in the Super Clipper might correctly be called a hogshair but it was an extremely thin, rather flimsy example of the type, not at all like the high quality hogshair carpeting as found in the passenger compartments of some earlier prewar Seniors. As I recall it was ribbed front to back though I don't recall if the ribbing was a color or a texture. What a shame there are so few original and unmolested (or correctly restored) cars to get this type of information from. Every restored or upgraded car is one less to get verified authentic details from.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 10:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I recall an article where a Packard ex-employee talked about mixing goat hair into trunk paint. I would think a synthetic flock would give much the same look. My 22nd Junior trunk was a shade of gray very close to Rustoleum Smooke Gray, and the original trunk shown looks similar.

The hogshair carpet info I've seen does match with thin ribbed material running front to back.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
thanks to all the comments-I would like to keep it as close to orginal as possible.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 9:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved