Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

BigKev, remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

The Case of the Petulant Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Since I got my '55 back this summer I have woefully neglected my '51. Part of the reason was that the last time I started it up it sounded like someone was inside the engine with a hammer trying to get out. I knew there had been some noise that faded as the engine warmed up and this sound did too. Also, for once I had my hearing aid in so maybe that explains part of it. Never the less, it sounded horrible.

Today I thought I see what I could find and went to start it up. My normal procedure when starting it after it hasn't run for a while is to dump a little gas down the carb throat. The result is a running engine on the first try. NOT TODAY. It sounded like there was no spark at all - didn't even pop. I pulled the number one plug wire and braced it about an half an inch from the block and cranked - no spark at all. I then took my volt meter to the battery which read 6.5 volts. Next I turned on the key and measured the voltage at the primary coil terminal and got 5.7 volts. That seems a little low to me but at least the coil is getting juice. A side note: This car has gone through 3 coils since I've owned it. The first was put on with a major tune up I have the receipt for before I bought it. When I took it in for a check up once there it wouldn't start so new coil number two. After a few months I realized that the coil didn't like being upside down as it was leaking oil. Which brings us to the coil that is on the car now.

I don't know much about ignition systems except the very obviously so any ideas about why she won't start would be very much appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 18:45
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: The Case of the Petulant Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
With all the coil changes there is a chance that a chance that a replacement got connected incorrectly. For a positive battery grounded car the positive terminal of the coil goes to the distributor. Easy to check and correct. A coil connected incorrectly will not provide a hot spark and will cause hard starting and poor running performance. Let us know what you find.

(O{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/13 22:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you JW, I'll check that out tomorrow. It was kind of a shock, no pun intended, this is usually a very quick starting car.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
5.7v isn't too bad under the load of the starter but half an inch away from the block may be asking a lot of that coil. 1/4" or less would be better.

If still no spark at less distance, one thing you might try is run a point file or a strip of textured light cardboard like a business card or some heavy Kraft type paper thru the closed points to clean off any oxidation & try again. If still no luck, remove the coil ground wire from dist terminal and scratch it against the block while you look for a spark again. If still no spark then coil issue. If you have a spark then distributor, condenser, or point issue.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 22:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
5.7v isn't too bad under the load of the starter but half an inch away from the block may be asking a lot of that coil. 1/4" or less would be better.

If still no spark at less distance, one thing you might try is run a point file or a strip of textured light cardboard like a business card or some heavy Kraft type paper thru the closed points to clean off any oxidation & try again. If still no luck, remove the coil ground wire from dist terminal and scratch it against the block while you look for a spark again. If still no spark then coil issue. If you have a spark then distributor, condenser, or point issue.

Thank you Howard. I'm glad to hear that 5.7 isn't out of line. I'll re-test for spark at 1/4" and look to checking the points for oxidation.

Back in the 70's my roommate had a Volvo 544(?) with starting problems. I take a hold of a spark plug wire and hold it a little way away from the block and tell him to crank it over. It was Summer so I was bare-foot. I was also standing in a puddle of water. In the spark's quest for ground, guess which path it choose. My friend told me it was the first time he ever saw someone's hair stand on end.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
After reading your posts, it seems you may still have an electric personality!

Posted on: 2012/12/14 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you for that..... (I think)...

Posted on: 2012/12/15 1:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Today didn't go as I had planned and I know I'm busy tomorrow. Hope to get to the '51 on Sunday to try out these suggestions. If I do get it running, I'll try and record the sound the engine is now making and post the video/audio. With poor hearing (too much time spent in the Discos of the '70s) It's tough for me to evaluate noises. From reading the FSM, I rather fear that I've got a piston issue as the noise goes away (or is buried) above idle RPM.

Never the less, I hope to lay the evidence before "the court".

Posted on: 2012/12/15 1:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
With all the coil changes there is a chance that a chance that a replacement got connected incorrectly. For a positive battery grounded car the positive terminal of the coil goes to the distributor. Easy to check and correct. A coil connected incorrectly will not provide a hot spark and will cause hard starting and poor running performance. Let us know what you find.

(O{}o)

JW, you were right on the money with that. I finally got a few moments to check the coil wiring as per JW's post and sure enough; it was reversed. I only had a few moments but I've corrected the wiring hook up and put the charger on the battery. We'll see what happens tomorrow (hopefully).

Thanks JW, Howard, ALM and all you others that have helped with this.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 3:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

Howard, sometimes it takes a little while for something to percolate down to still functioning brain cells. Call it a penalty for the '70s.

The 5.7v number I gave you was just a key on / no starter reading from ground post to coil.

I know you said that wasn't too bad under the load of the starter but shouldn't it be higher without? By the way, the ignition switch is one I bought new in 2011.

Car was running fine and starting easily (if the next morning) when I parked it - what could go to hell that fast?

Followed JW's suggestion last night and - yes - the coil hook up was backwards - and put the battery on the charger overnight but even that didn't help today.

If anyone else has some suggestions; please feel free to jump in.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved