Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

2T300RE, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electrical clicking with clutch depressed
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Happy Holidays and thanks to all for your invaluable help this year. Another question about my '54 Packard Clipper Super 2-door club sedan, 327ci/165hp 8 cyl L-head. I am noticing what seems like a rapid electrical clicking sound from under the car with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I have the manual 3-speed column shift trans with overdrive. I tried engaging and disengaging the overdrive with the plunger knob under the dash to see if that would make the 'clicking' stop with clutch pedal depressed, to no avail. Also, after I disengaged and then re-engaged the overdrive with the under-dash plunger knob, I had a short period of difficulty shifting into second gear without grinding. Then, without any further intervention and after a few attempts, the car shifted into second gear without grinding. The rapidly cycling clicking noise under the car continues with the clutch pedal depressed. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions on this situation.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2012/12/13 11:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrical clicking with clutch depressed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the clicking sound changes frequency with engine speed I'd vote for throwout bearing or something related in that area. If it doesn't change then I'd get a helper to push the pedal while you see if you can track it to something under the car or something in the engine compt and go from there.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 11:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In this case it's unfortunate your car has a GEN light and not a conventional ammeter. If you had an ammeter, if it didn't move slightly with each "click" then I'd suspect the problem isn't electrical but is mechanical, for example the throwout bearing. But a throwout bearing will typically make noises, not only when the clutch is fully depressed, but also as soon as the clutch travel exhausts the pedal free play and there is any pressure on it. If you're convinced it's elecrical, why not just disable the overdrive system (remove the fuse or disconnect the power feed) and see if the noise stops or continues?

Posted on: 2012/12/13 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thank you, guys. Excellent suggestions. I will proceed accordingly and get back to you.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 14:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved