Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 123

Todd W. White, ECAnthony, Joe, Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Horn Ring Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
After my interior was restored on my 56 Exec, my horn stopped working correctly and I had to disconnect the wire from the horn relay (the horn always blew). I have received new parts to repair the horn in the steering column. I don't remember how the chrome horn ring comes off. Any diagrams and/or procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:43
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Horn Ring Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
page 35 of the steering and suspension section of the service manual describes how to take off the steering wheel. maybe that is what you need?

i'm assuming you are talking about the chrome push bar for the horn....in which case i'm no help. I never took mine off personally.

but one thought...does the wheel have to be removed to take off the chrome bar? maybe the retaining screws or bolts are on the other side, unreachable unless you take the wheel off?

otherwise i'm out of ideas. my wheel is locked up in a pitch black shed right now, so i'm no help till tomorrow if no one else can figure it out.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I had read the service manual @ steering wheel removal but it jumps from horn button removal straight to removing the nut for the steering wheel (skipping the horn ring removal).

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:06
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The center piece (emblem) is just held in place with a rubber "O" ring. Just carefully pop it out to access the removal of the horn ring.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think the center of the steering wheel comes off first. It is held onto the horn ring with an O-ring. Then the horn ring is unfastened from the steering wheel. As I recall, it is fastened to the steering wheel with some small machine screws or self tapping screws. Its been some time since I had my center off, but this is what I remember. Anyway, it should be obvious once you get the center off.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
the steering wheel needs to come off,

under side is three phillps screws

Attach file:

jpg  (127.74 KB)
4498_51aeb1bda4cdb.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:26
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
the steering wheel needs to come off,

under side is three phillps screws

Many thanks, as always a picture helps me even more

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:48
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
bhappy,

that has been under my bed for 25 plus years so it was handy

org. wheel from my 56 400,, have a black wheel from an exec. on the car. but its cracked now.

your welcome,,

Posted on: 2013/6/4 23:00
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Remove the emblem on the horn ring by gently prying it up.
It is held in place by a rubber ring. Once this is out, you will see a large nut underneath it, remove the nut and then use a wheel puller to remove the horn ring assembly.

You screw three long bolts of the puller into holes in the base of the wheel. When you see it, it is obvious. With the wheel assembly removed. It is now easy to remove the ring itself. Be careful when removing the ring because there is a spring in it that could go boing

Posted on: 2013/6/4 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks to all of you for your tireless support, my horn WORKS just as it should. I also found the power drain that was causing me so much worry. You see, when I disconnected the horn from the relay, I disconnected the horn, not the power to the relay, thus a continual drain on the battery.

Lessons learned:

1. Be aware that a problem, when it occurs, is probably a simple explanation and can be solved with careful thought, research, planning and having people like you to help.

2. Pay attention to signs of potential problems, i.e. what is that noise? why does the car vibrate under acceleration?

3. A 'quick fix' doesn't usually 'fix' anything. It just postpones the necessary work and can cause other problems that usually end up at a much higher cost, had you just repaired the original problem correctly in the first place.

4. Quit blaming others for the problems that were most likely caused by myself.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 11:05
Bob

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved