Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Using Chem-dip to clean a fuel pump...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi,

I'm rebuilding my fuel pump (kit from Merrit) and I am soaking it in a gallon of chem-dip. I noticed that when I removed the parts and wiped them clean, there is a light black/grey "film" that is coming off. Are these parts anodized/plated? I'm figuring that the the answer is yes.

I wasn't going to scrub these parts to be spotless. Do I need to be concerned that this stuff will gum up the fuel system?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/6/10 17:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Using Chem-dip to clean a fuel pump...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do you know the chemical components of your "chem dip"? Major ingredients indicated on the label? The fact that it's leaving a black "smut" indicates that it's acidic and perhaps attacking the base metal. Unless you know it's intended for such alloys and metals it's much safer to stick with a solvent cleaner like carburetor cleaner or something like Brake-Kleen.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
This is the Berryman chem-dip carb cleaner. I used on the carb rebuild (WDO). I didn't notice anything on that.

Here it is -->http://www.berrymanproducts.com/products/eco-friendly-products/berryman-chem-dip-carburetor-and-parts-cleaner/

Posted on: 2013/6/10 20:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I looked at the major hazardous components listed (those at greater than 1%) on the MSDS sheet, looks like it should be suitable for a fuel pump. No explanation for the black smut. Did it rinse right off? Any signs of attack on the alloy?

Posted on: 2013/6/10 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Probably zinc oxide. I would put a penny in the stuff and see if it disolves.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 8:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Zinc oxide is white to yellowish-white.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 8:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I'll try to take a picture of it. I did notice that the dip removes rust. ...as there was some in the bottom of the bowl. Wouldn't it have to have something acidic for that?

I'll try to take a closeup picture.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/6/11 11:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To oxidize one of the base metals in the alloy you'd have to have both an acid component and an oxidizer, or both properties in one compound such as nitric or chromic acid. No such ingredients show on the MSDS and since the solution is organic (non-aqueous neither would have been compatible anyway. I suspect the smut might be from the loosening of old, dried motor oil or perhaps even from one of the rubber components. Or maybe something left in the chem-clean from a prior use? I'd just clean the parts thoroughly, perhaps give them a little wipe with 0000 steel wool, and go from there.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 14:43
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps it's just the vanished fuel breaking down, or previous paint on the pump.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 15:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Zinc carbonate is a protective layer and given the cleaner contains some alkalis that is probably what is being dissolved. Try the penny experiment.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 15:32
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved