Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"The Classic Car", Summer 2013 issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those of us enamored of the prewar Packards recognized by the CCCA and "Full Classics", you'll find the subject issue (Volune LXI, No. 2) particularly appealing. If you're not a member, try to borrow that issue for some great reading. Though there are about 100 makes of cars that had at least some models designated as CCCA Classics, this issue has a very large Packard content. The Packard-related articles with many fine (and some very rare) illustrations are:

After the Crash, Packard's Evolution and Revolution.

1931 Packard 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich.

Some 1929 and 1930 Packard Speedsters.

Coachwork Lines: Packard at the 1926 Salon.

My Packard of a Lifetime (*).

Portfolio of 1932 Dietrich Packard Designs.

1932 Packard 906 Twin Six Convertible Sedan by Dietrich
(the former Al Jolson car).

(*) An armor-plated Twelve (with 3-inch thick glass) limo from Russian government service.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 10:27
 Top  Print   

Re: "The Classic Car", Summer 2013 issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That 745 boat tail purportedly still exists. It was in a private collection for years in PA.

A number of cars came up from Argentina in the late 50's / early 60's. One was a 29 Caddy Phaeton with a polished aluminum body (the Dr Andrade car). Another was a 29 Caddy phaeton Taxicab with a billion miles on it. There were no dents or putty of any kind because the metal workers down there were so good.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, I remember Dr. Andrade's Cadillac quite well, he was in the local chapter of the VMCCA with me. Quite sadly he passed away as a relatively young man, never did find out where the Cadillac went or see it again. Our VMCCA was thick with early enthusiasts, Geo. Jepson, Charlie Vanderbush, John Hovey and Austie Clark to name just four. It was also a hot-bed of early brass cars (and still is), I remember when I joined in the early 60s with my 34 Packard I was reminded that since I didn't light my headlights with a match, I really had a modern car. The club switched affiliation to AACA some years ago but still adheres to the requirement that member's car be at least 50 years old.

In browsing the article on the Russian Government (and alleged Stalin) 37 Twelve it was interesting to read that the rear door window glasses weighed about 100 lbs each and were raised and lowered with a hydraulic jack within the door. I vaguely remember a similar arrangement in the armoured ZIS', Gusha could confirm.

What did you think of the Dietrich 845 Newport club sedan? I thought it one of the most elegant early 30s Packard closed cars I've ever seen.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Looking at the Packard I think it was a year too early because it would benefit from a Vee windshield. From the front it looks really good but a little too extreme from the side. Who am I to nit-pick Ray Dietrich? I think those Indiviual Custom 8's on page 49 represent the high point for Packard. That sure is a great restoration job.

Everybody waxes about Bill Mitchell and the 60 Special Cadillac, but clearly that was evolutionary.

Back in 1952, Art Perrow and Kavenagh took their cars (35 Caddy 12 conv. sedan and 733 dual cowl phaeton) to an AACA meet and were asked "Who's letting this modern junk in here?" If I wasn't committed to the CCCA the VMCCA is a great club. In the old days they were big into parties and today are just a fun organization without messy politics.
But heck, when I was a kid Turnquist gave me a desk for my room and so I thought CCCA was the only car club in the whole wide world.

I dealt with armored vehicles overseas and the windows were locked in place thanks to air condtioning. I don't know why Stalin thought he needed an armored car given he killed everybody who could possibly disagree with him (7 million Ukranians in 1933 alone). Of course a nut like that must have felt everybody was out to get him. Just goes to show that authority nearly always ends up in the hands of those least fit to possess it. At least the windshield wasn't bullet proof, but unfortunately anybody willing to take advantage of the fact was already dead.

Oh, that 9th club sedan on page 3 is an original car right down to the paint on the wheels. I wish I could remember his name and the photo is circa 1963.

And on page 53, fourth from the left at Rabble Beach is JB Nethercutt. The rich just don't dress the part anymore. He was the most gracious millionaire person you could ever imagine.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

It is a great issue! Lots of fine Packard coverage.

It's wonderful to know that '31 845 Newport Sport Sedan by Dietrich is the very one in this topic of a while ago:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=11259&forum=1

As noted, the '38 60 Special was the evolutionary development of the 3-box sedan concept which had been kicking around among various custom coachbuilders for most of the decade.

What seems so unfortunate is that while Packard was among the early pioneers of the configuration, that they didn't pursue it as a progressive design for their sedans by 1935-1938, both as a 120 and for a new series of downsized Super Eights and Twelves for 1936-37.

As in so many instances, it's the car that brings the seemingly new configuration to the mass market that's best remember for doing so. Cadillac was the beneficiary of extremely felicitious events that brought young Bill Mitchell to GM Art & Colour and Harley Earl powerful enough to champion it just in time to take advantage of the competent new 60 Series chassis.......at a market price sweet spot $2,100 where there was no affective competition.

GM did it again a decade later with the 1949 two door hardtop Coupe de Villes, Rivieras and Holidays, regardless of Chrysler pioneering seven Town and Country hardtops a few year prior.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/6/14 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The profit numbers for 1929-1942 indicate a chronically poor financial outlook. Even with war contracts the retained earnings position of the company was unchanged.
I don't know what the numbers were for 1923-1928, but after 1929 the company was on a downward spiral. Like haberdashery after JFK the luxury market was dead after the roaring 20's. Packard was in a bubble. And they lost the fat margins that went with it. Those poor dealers must have been reeling.

The depression was very bad - "you couldn't find a dollar" is the best description I've heard.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 0:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've read in several places that the only car manufacturer that consistently made a profit every year of the depression was Nash. A sharp business guy, Charlie Nash!

Posted on: 2013/6/15 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I hope the Andrade car didn't end up like Joe Sulley's car (First CCCA booth display car in 1952) - improperly stored and ruined.

After rechecking things, what I said about the Newport sedan is wrong. I can't find anything that predates it. That is Dietrich's own.

Proof would come if he filed for a design patent.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Tim

The only car that would predate Dietrich's design would be the 1930 Jordan Speedway Model Z Sportsman Sedan. It's 3-box configuration with the integrated trunk. Who the creator of that breakthrough design is forever a mystery.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/6/15 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 58L8:

You're right.

For the benefit of everybody watching here are some pictures. The CCCA article states Dietrich did the 734 styling as well so I included the Victoria.

The Jordan hood looks suspiciously like the Dietrich Franklins. There is an old CCCA series "The Dietrich Story" but I lost my copies in a move. Those would probably indicate who Dietrich was doing consulting work for. Everybody copied the Waterhouse Blind Quarter Victoria which I think had a design patent on it because the blind quarter allowed for the disappearing top.

So I guess this is a "What came first: the chicken or the egg?" question. It's a possibilty because the Jordan plant was along the New York Central Mainline and Dietrich traveled between New York and Detroit on a regular basis.

The only thing that catch's my eye on the Packard is the A-pillar upper corner. If the angle was softened just a few degrees then my eye would move from rear to front the same way as Virgil Exner's "Forward Look". But it's a tough one because that A-Piilar is sort in a never never land. It's been made more extreme to lenghten the hood/cowl line and changing it might ruin the frontal effect. I'm sure Dietrich struggled with it. And of course in person it might not even be noticed.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.60 KB)
373_51bd27724bf37.jpg 750X608 px

jpg  (54.49 KB)
373_51bd27a5e7c92.jpg 720X580 px

jpg  (57.30 KB)
373_51bd27ed66e24.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2013/6/15 21:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved