Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

soulrenovation, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Merlin Powered Mosquito Video
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is a link to a video on a newly restored Mosquito. I wish it would have had more sights and sounds of the Merlins, but still interesting.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/ExclusiveVideo_MusicOfTheMerlins_deHavillandMosquito_208877-1.html

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/15 14:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Merlin Powered Mosquito Video
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Thanks for posting! Being ex-USAFA/USAF, I really enjoyed it, but as you said, it could have used more Merlin sounds.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/15 16:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Unfortunately the Mosquito canceled Geneseo. We did have the Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire up together along with two Mustangs at the show.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 19:16
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Stephen, I was looking for your post so I could reply with the Mosquito video. Could not locate it right away and posted a new topic. It must have been quite an experience seeing and hearing the Lancaster taxi and fly. Four Merlins! What a treat.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/15 21:35
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
JW,

Thanks for posting,a couple of our guys were at Hamilton to see it fly as in your post.

The Lanc put on quite a show both days. Sunday afternoon I was able to get up into the Lanc after it's flight to make some photographs. I noticed Merlins have an interesting smell as they start to cool down, much different than radials. I was also able to get our videographer into the bed of the "follow me" pickup truck to shoot the Lanc start up and taxi back into flight line after landing. It is a very interesting aircraft in terms of it's construction and it does have an amazing sound to it especially coming in at tree top level.

Unfortunately I stepped into a tractor rut Saturday (our entire show is on grass) and went over. Lens plowed a new furrow and electronics of camera are whacked. Got intermittent good and bad exposures Sunday as I figured out a work-around with command dial. I had been looking at buying new dSLR before show. Glad I waited. Wish I could say same about my wrist, arm and shoulder as I tried to protect camera.

I will post images later today along with the two Packards that came Saturday.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:50
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Stephen, Ouch! I hope only the camera was badly hurt. I have never seen a Lancaster up close, just in photos and movies. Always enjoy viewing the "Dam Busters". I have a nice 1/72nd scale model of one as well as a Hurricane, Mosquito, Spitfire, Mustang, and Warhawk. All the Merlin powered aircraft from WW-II. Look forward to seeing the images you are able to salvage. Get well and take care.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/16 12:23
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks, JW. Here are some photographs of the Lanc from Sunday and two Packards. The C-46 from CAF in background is from your neck of the woods.

The cars are Ed and Bonnie Franko's 1938 1134 limo that originally belonged to Gov Hurley of MA and Brian and Carolyn Burke's 1949 2279 Super 8 conv.

Damn Busters great movie also interesting book. Check out Bally's Bomber-guy spent 10 years building 1/3 scale B-17G, has 4 80 hp engines, we are "out there"with our Packard work?

Gotta love it.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.80 KB)
2260_51e5dcc0aabc9.jpg 677X450 px

jpg  (8.11 KB)
2260_51e5dcd6e8bd7.jpg 677X450 px

jpg  (26.48 KB)
2260_51e5dced9b587.jpg 677X450 px

jpg  (34.80 KB)
2260_51e5ddbc7a668.jpg 677X450 px

jpg  (40.99 KB)
2260_51e5dded6764a.jpg 677X450 px

jpg  (32.08 KB)
2260_51e5dfe917611.jpg 677X450 px

Posted on: 2013/7/16 18:58
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
The Mosquito with its twin Merlin's were fast but they were a "wood" structured plane. They could hit 400mph but lightly armored, would not take many hits and keep flying. They were used as a night fighter and light to medium bombers also. Fast but could not out run the 8mm German ME 109.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Stephen, impressive. The engines on the Lancaster look huge. Yes, the C-46 is from the Commemorative Air Force. I believe all the Mosquitoes were built in Canada and used the Packard-built Merlins. Maybe the only WW-II aircraft to be exclusively Packard-built powered. Going out on a limb here. The Mosquitoes ran in two configurations: open exhaust for daytime and shrouded exhaust for nightime. Open exhaust higher speed, shrouded exhaust reduced speed, but less noticeable. Thanks for sharing. Maybe Clipper47 can chime in here with better info. Dave, you out there?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/16 22:34
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
JW,

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed the images. Yes, shrouded exhaust will always cut performance, most a/c manufacturers came to realize that by tuning exhaust they could utilize the exhaust thrust as speed/performance enhancer adding at least another 10mph.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:04
Stephen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved