Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Kanter Deluxe Kit for V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
anyone ever use the Kanter rebuild kits for the Packard?

i like how it is all in one kit and you don't have to shop around.

does 1365.oo sould like a good price?

Posted on: 2008/7/17 9:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: Kanter Deluxe Kit for V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've used their transmission rebuild kits without problem but not engine. The only negatives I've heard on either is that on NLA parts, some are remanufactured and sourced from where ever with unknown quality. I believe there is also a bit of controversy over the piston type and brand.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i am guessing they should beable to tell us where they get the pistons from.....then again i am not trying to build a hotrod here so, i think as long as i drive it like a normal person it would be fine.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 10:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Clip55er: I understand that Kanter purchases their pistons from Egge. Which I understand that Egge pistons might have some quality issues. Other persons also have stated that Egges pistons are ok.

Myself I think I would look into some other national sources for purchasing the pistons.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/17 12:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, they do come with a lifetime warranty.

so.....lets hear some of the problems with Egge.....why would i not want them, what are the quality issues that people have experienced.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/7/17 14:56
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I used Egge in my 1934 Eight about 40 years ago and when I pulled them at 40,000 miles of use, they looked as good as the day I installed them. Yet if I could have purchased autothermic strut pistons as the originals I would have preferred them just because it's a better design and can be used with less clearance, thus probably running a bit quieter. I have heard indirectly that some years ago Egge was having quality issues with large variations in weight, and piston pin holes hot parallel with the piston top, though I haven't experienced those myself.

I believe Kanter sources pistons from several sources depending on what's available for that particular engine. I've seen some of his 3.5 inch pistons for postwar 288 and 327 engines and they were not cast Egges but of the strut design and looked like a very good piston. But for the V8 engines it seems the cast design is all that's available.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 15:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Parts Wizard
See User information
All of Egge's pistons for the 3 1/2 bore 282 and 327 engines are of the steel strutted design. Kanter does buy both the 3 1/2 and the Packard V8 pistons from Egge. If anyone has had problems with Egge pistons I would love to hear about it. The only way problems can be fixed is to know what the problems are.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
It's been a few years since I have done anything but I can throw my thoughts in. Years ago when into racing, used Jahns pistons. I helped the local straight eight and 12 cylinder guru build his last engines and my 12, Charlie Last as he was up in years. Actually tried to buy the shop. And he always used Jahns pistons. But I hear they have been sold and in and out of problems. In years past when building ZL-1's and ZL-X's used Jahns pistons. I have heard that Arias pistons are good but have not dealt with them. I think what is best is to take your time, do research, and buy the best. It will last many years. I can tell you the first time you need to pull the engine after just a couple of years you will be wishing you had spent a couple of hundred more to do it correctly. Don't cut yourself short on mechanical parts, and your vehicle should last many, many years. Even as a daily short trip driver. Check here and with restoration shops that have a long record of good service, see what they use, see what is having to be rebuilt and what is not.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 17:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Parts Wizard, I believe you mean 288 cubic inch, not 282. The 120 engine before they rationalized all the bores to 3.5 for the 22nd series was 282 ci and had a smaller bore, 3-1/4 as I remember.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My experience was on the 56. What I cannot say is what the clearance was set to--Egge specs or Packards. The same machinist had done 3 engines for me previously so I do trust his work, but the 56 was only one with Egge Pistons. I had almost completed a 400 mile trip and about 10 miles from home, started hearing a noise from engine--not bad but audible. Made it home, and next day started car and had a loud squeek noise. Turned out one piston had either collapsed or tried to seize and scored cylinder pretty well. Machinist checked all and found another not far behind, so he recommeneded boring out another .030 to clean up and then fit Chrysler 413's. I believe I heard the 413's are also NLA.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 17:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved