Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 110 oil pan removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi! I have been looking for a Packard forum for some time and I just stumbled across this one today. It looks great!

I have a 1940 Packard 110 that was given to me some years ago by my grandparents. Their last name is Packard so they made sure to own a Packard. Anyway, I finally got around to start working on it and I could not remove the oil pan. The oil pump pickup and a cross-member keep it from going anywhere.

Is anybody here familiar with this? Is pulling the engine the only way to remove the oil pan?

Thank you and I look forward to being an active member of this forum!

-John

Posted on: 2008/7/24 17:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 110 oil pan removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of course the oil pan comes off without removing the engine. You might consider checking the shop manual, but often you need to rotate the crankshaft a bit to get the clearance for the plan to come down.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 18:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my '54 I had to jack the front of the engine off it's mounts to be able to have enough clearance to both remove the bolts, and also to wiggle the pan out.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 19:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I tried to spin the crankshaft but I couldn't get a wrench on the harmonic balancer. Does the radiator need to be removed for that?

It seems that the crankshaft is not holding the radiator,but I would like to try to spin the engine by hand to get an idea of its condition. When I drained the oil pan I found a good amount of water, which has me worried. It wasn't rusty, but there must be rust somewhere.

I'll try jacking up the motor to get some more clearance.

Thanks for your comments!

-John

Posted on: 2008/7/24 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the engine isn't frozen, you should be able to turn it over a bit by either (a) taking out the spark plugs, grabbing the fan belt to tighten it, and turning the fan by hand. That failing, (b) drop the clutch cover and turn it using the teeth in the flywheel. Special tools are made for this, but you can also (gently) use a large screwdriver into the gear teeth and fulcrumming on the bell housing edge near the flywheel.

If you don't succeed with either method, most likely your engine is frozen. That normally occurs when piston rings rust to the cylinder walls, though it can get much worse than that. You could remove the cylinder head and put some of your favorite snake oil on the top of the pistons, allow it to soak for a week or so, and try (again, GENTLY) tapping on one or more of the piston heads that is neither fully up or fully down. A product known as PB Blaster would be a great choice for a rust buster, others prefer using ATF fluid. Forget WD-40 for this purpose.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If you don't succeed with either method, most likely your engine is frozen. That normally occurs when piston rings rust to the cylinder walls, though it can get much worse than that.

Yeah, you could find this:

Attach file:

jpg  (46.86 KB)
34_488972086d645.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Turbopackman, was that your engine? That would be a terrible thing to find! It looks like that engine was used as a boat anchor.

Owen_Dyneto, thanks for the tips. My fan belt is hard and rotted, so I'll try the flywheel method. Thanks for suggesting some rust removers. I probably would have tried WD-40!

-John

Posted on: 2008/7/25 5:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

If your front engine mount rubber has deteriorated badly you could jack up the front of the engine and then support it so that there is sufficient clearance between the pan and the drag-link. The crank pulley could even be sitting on the nut of the steering crank pivot if the engine mount is sufficiently deteriorated thus preventing the engine from turning. The jacking could be done by undoing the bolts for the engine mount where it bolts to the chassis, jacking up the engine then inserting wooden blocks under the engine mount "feet" to hold it sufficiently high. You should then be able to drop and wiggle the pan out.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 9:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John, yes that's my "new" 327 I just bought last weekend. If you check out my Speedster blog in the Project Blogs, you can see more of the destruction. I think the guy I bought it from salvaged it from the Titanic!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved