Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unnecessary Improvement
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I just completed an unnecessary improvement to the 37 Six Convertible. I got tired of having to move the seat cushion out of the way and remove the cover to check and service the battery I relocated the battery from under the seat to the engine compartment. I got the idea from one of the craigslisting showing a '38 Eight with a 12-volt battery mounted on the cowl wall.

Before drilling any holes, I made up some cardboard mock ups of the battery and box bottom to be sure the box and battery would clear the hood panel .

I also relocated the voltage regulator from the cowl wall to the fender splash panel with the same wiring - no cutting or splicing was done.

There was just enough width to mount the battery box on the cowl wall. I obtained the battery box from Speedway Motors. Cost was reasonable, about $35. It is exceptionally well built. I fastened the box to the cowl with 3/8" bolts and nuts with large fender washers on the inside of the cowl. I had to fabricate some spacers for the top bolts because the cowl slants away from vertical.

I had new 00 battery cables made at a local alternator and starter shop with proper positive and negative battery terminals. The starter really turns over with the new cables - almost sounds like it is on 12-volts. Cost was most affordable, about $38 for the pair.

The horns on the cowl wall was an earlier mod. I did this change for looks. I think they look better on the wall than on the cylinder head, and I think the engine looks better with out them mounted. Again, I used the original wiring without any cutting or permanent splicing.

I have saved all the original parts and the car can be restored back to its original configuration with little work. There will be some holes in the cowl wall that will need to be plugged, but that is the extent of anything permanent being changed. Modifications I do to my Packards are done so there is no permanent alterations. Any parts I remove are saved and they can all be easily reinstalled to original.

I fully understand and appreciate those who are strict in keeping their Packards absolutely original/authentic. I admire their efforts and ask them to keep up the work. Sometimes I just like to put my own imprint on things.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (83.41 KB)
565_523386d84682d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/9/13 16:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: Unnecessary Improvement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I love it. Very tidy, and what a nice looking battery box and hold-down for the money. I use that same small 6V battery in all my cars with great success.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Sweet! Packard should have done it that way anyway.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/9/13 17:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fyreline
See User information
One more "yes" vote. Sure, there will always be the purists who will decry any deviation from "The Packard as Packard built it", but unless you intend to submit your car for concours judging it just makes good sense to make it enjoyable to actually drive. I think most of us would draw the line at dropping in a Chevy small-block or fitting a Station Sedan with 22" chrome spoked wheels, but even those actions would be preferable to seeing a Packard neglected, junked and eventually crushed.

You have a Packard you drive and enjoy, and that entitles you to modify it as you see fit. Looks to me like you're doing it right.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JW,

I like the job you did too. I also understand the desire to keeps things original when possible but practicalities are valid too. I still occasionally get an "evil eye" or a comment every now and then but I don't lose sleep over such times. Enjoying my Packard is the paramount motivation for me. Again, nicely done and enjoy your Packard.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks all for the compliments and comments. The reason for posting the modification was to show others with pre-war juniors, that a standard type wet cell battery could be mounted in the engine compartment. Some have mounted the Optima gel cell type due to their smaller size. Now we know that both types will work.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/16 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I can handle this conversion, and like you said its easy enough to turn back around. I always wonder why the battery fumes wouldn't wreck havoc on the upholstry.

Now a conversion that turns me off is the blinkers on top of the fenders. I know the safety concerns but still it turns me off! My 37 ford has the blinkers hidden in the headlights!

Posted on: 2013/9/17 7:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved