Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

21-23 radiator cradle isolation.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A sequence question on cradle mounting and approx what would be the ballpark distance between the cradle and bottom frame mount??

In addition to the 4 rubber washers on the side rods to frame, the parts book lists 3 rubber isolators on the bottom single bolt to frame plus some steel washers. I don't seem to have a third and not sure how it would go with the carriage bolt fitting into a square in the cradle.

Steele has nothing for that application other than saying body cushions could be used for the radiator mount on some cars. I think that was true for 51 on but not sure about earlier. His rubber seems a bit thick for the 1 7/8 bolt.

Assuming I find or make some rubber pieces, am I correct in the sequence. A thin rubber washer on the top under the carriage bolt head, then cradle, followed by a thicker washer, the frame, then the lower rubber followed by a steel washer and nut. There is an X quantity on steel washers so assume it is whatever is needed to accommodate fender height to be inserted between the frame and cradle as was done on the later cars.

One other interesting part is they have a piece of fabric loom over the bolt and thru the washers but didn't see a steel sleeve to keep the washers from compressing. Does this sound right?

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 21-23 radiator cradle isolation.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I still have questions. Guess I'm dumber than I thought or just not familiar enough with pre 51's.

The cradle has a square hole where the carriage bolt head fits. A fabric loom insulator surrounds the bolt. There would be a space under the cradle needing to be filled by a rubber washer and steel washers as shims. Below that the frame hole which is about a 1" x 1 1/2" rounded slot. Another rubber washer and the final steel washer/nut assy would go under.

Where would a third rubber washer go? The utility item (arrow) is 3/16" thick & listed as lower. Am assuming that means the very bottom under the frame hole instead of under the carriage bolt head. No dimensions given for the other two listed as upper insulating. Are those two items an either/or choice or are they both used? If both, any idea of the sizes and do they just stack together or do they have molded in steel bushings?

It is interesting the vendors have the 4 rubber donuts for the side rods but none mention anything for the lower ones.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.35 KB)
209_524c52fce91a2.jpg 363X276 px

Posted on: 2013/10/2 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - When I was doing the radiator recore on my 2106 I recall the following: Made some replacement cradle to frame pads out of old radiator hose. Two pieces between the cradle and frame and one on the bottom side of the frame. I used a new carriage bolt. I tightened the carriage bolt until it was firm, but not too tight. Then, I screwed another nut to be a double nut lock. I got the thickness of the pads from the ones that were in the car when I removed the cradle. The two new pieces were just a bit thicker than the ones I removed. This thickness is critical as it sets the front fender height and hood alignment. I removed the radiator and cradle together, but reinstalled the radiator with the cradle in place, but loosely fastened. It all worked out just fine.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/3 11:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, John. My car was totally apart with fenders separated. All that rubber is missing. I know I will have to experiment with spacing down the road but was hoping someone had a rough starting point so whatever I order will get in in the ballpark.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 11:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Howard,
Not that it will be of any consequence but I had a '49 International KB-1 pickup that required the radiator support to be mounted very similar to your '47. IIRC, the support pad consisted of two 1-1/2" wide by 3" rectangular metal washers with two roughly 1/2" thicknesses of rubber "cushion" sandwiched in between the two washers. The washers and rubber pads all had a 1/2" hole thru the center for about a 1/2" X 2" carriage bolt to slip thru. This entire assembly rested on the front frame crossmember and of course the support rested on the pad. once the carriage bolt was installed thru the support, pad and frame, another round rubber "washer" similar to a thin shock absorber bushing was installed on the underside of the crossmember along with a flat washer. A lock washer was not used on top of the flat washer but instead, the carriage bolt was pre-drilled with a couple of staggered holes for a cotter pin/castle nut which finished the assembly. I assume the holes in the carriage bolt were staggered to allow for the amount of "crush" on the rubber pad. If this support is similar to yours, the carriage bolt shown with it also includes holes for the cotter pin/castle nut assembly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/47-PACKARD-RADIATOR-CORE-SUPPORT-BRACKET-BRACE-/140493600538

Posted on: 2013/10/3 19:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. That ebay piece is what I have and my bolt also has holes as you describe. Bolt is 1 7/8" total so allowing for the nut and position of the holes, I think getting a 1/2" piece above and the spec'd 3/16" under the frame might be a good starting point. Finish with the steel shims.

I like the way Packard seems to give specs for fairly unimportant pieces (like the bottom cushion) but nothing where it matters.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 19:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved