Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

List of Packard First's
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
LIST OF PACKARD INDUSTRY FIRSTS

? First to use selective gear shift with ?H? pattern

? First American car to use steering wheel instead of tiller handle

? First American twelve cylinder production engine (1915)

? First automobile engine with aluminum pistons (1915)

? First aluminum crankcase

? First automobile air conditioning (1940)

? First use of hypoid differential

? First power windows (1940)

? First thermostatic control of water circulation in a motor car

? First to patent automobile wheels interchangeable at the hub

? First to obtain patent on radiator with top and bottom reservoirs with tubes

? First package compartment in instrument panel (glove box)

? First sun visors

? First to include front and rear bumpers as standard equipment

? First to use a lockup mechanism with an automatic transmission - 1948.

? First to offer tubeless tires as standard equipment (1954)

? First application of interconnected torsion bar suspension in automobiles (1955)

? First electric load leveler (1955)

? First to use electric door locks (1956)

Posted on: 2008/8/2 21:52
 Top  Print   

Re: List of Packard First's
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Very nice consolidated listing. I grabbed a copy for my own Packard files!

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/3 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
PortlanDon,

Good reminder of Packard innovations.

Sometimes the BIG Companies are the last to innoate. The little guys lead the way.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/8/3 9:46
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of course we have to remember that these claims were made by Packard themselves, and there is often some small fact that can bring some of them into debate. I'm hoping this thread doesn't lead to the ugly, virulent spatting and sniping that occurred when this list was posted over on AACA some years back. Regardless of some doubt that might be cast on a few of the items, Packard, despite making very conservative cars, was a innovator throughout most of their history.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
One of the problems with the list that was posted at the AACA's Packard DF is that it looked like someone was looking to score points for themselves by only adding to it, while ignoring legitimate challenges to obvious errors therein. Then, they repeatedly bragged about the number of views that their thread received, but anytime the topic got stale (and things calmed down), they'd float it back to the top, asking if that's all there is - sure that there must be more.

Yet, when the list was also copied over into another more general forum at the AACA site, it got shot full of just as many holes by non-Packard folk.

No matter who the manufacturer is, without a firm boundary as to what constitutes a "first" and the hard research to back up each point, such lists will always be subject to controversy. As such, I tend to ignore them now.

Instead, I just celebrate the features that my own Packards have compared to any other model of same period - even some of later years. There's no doubt in my mind that Packard built a highly competitive product, but being "first" with something doesn't always mean being the "best".

Posted on: 2008/8/3 11:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good points, and well said Brian.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Brian , I second Owens opinion. Well said and I also hope this will not start another debate on the topic.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Sorry to those who feel that such lists are a nuisance. I thought that is an interesting list compiled and emailed to me by one of the local packard club members ( I am not a member). It might have been presumptuous of me to throw it on here but I read it as a nice list of Packard accomplishments in automotive history.

Having read comments toward the list, they are all valid and correct. Those who choose to ignore the list can. Take it with a grain of salt. I did no research to see if the claims were true, or accurate. If there were a measure of Packard knowledge for members of this forum I would be at the bottom.

It seems to me that bringing up "Best of AACA online squabbles" keeps these old grudges fueled on to burn forever. I was not a member of AACA, their on line forum, or other sites that alot of the members of this form used to belong to. If I knew this MIGHT start a problem I would never have posted it.

This was a light hearted list that I thought was neat.

my 2cents. I know I'm going to regret this.....

Posted on: 2008/8/3 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I second the comments on enjoying Packard's history of innovations, especially in the various models we each have opportunity to see, tinker, drive, and pamper.

No need to turn PInfo into a battleground website.
I do not find arrogance admirable no matter what product, idea, event or attitude it is associated with.

The pooling of knowledge, ideas, resources, documents, photos, articles, advice and a g-zillion other benefits is just what I appreciate about this website and its visitors - newbys, oldies and in-betweens.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/8/3 17:42
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
TO ALL: The comments by some that they hope there is no debate or this subject might turn things into a batttle ground is bull.

The reason that it was such a hot topic for me in the old AACA forum, is becaue the person who posted the list wouldn't except the true facts about the list when presented to them.

The list that has been posted here is alot better and being close to the truth of what Packard did that others that have been put out by the clubs.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/3 19:42
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved