Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

29- 640 Club Sedan, Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to jack the car?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

I don't have the genuine jack in the car.

May I use a 'universal' hydraulic rolling garage jack?

What's the best place for jacking up the car? At the bumpers?

I have the elect. adjusting suspension.

Thanks!

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/8/10 17:21
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: How to jack the car?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as an aside, try to always indicate what year and model car you're asking about. You say it has the electric adjusting suspension so it must be a 55 or 56. No, don't use the bumper jack; no one should really use them except in an absolute emergency. First, they are not all that robust, second they can be dangerous, and lastly you'll risk damaging the bumper. Of course you can use a hydraulic jack so long as it's rated adequately. I lift my 56 Caribbean in the front by either placing it under the A-frame (be careful of the shock mount) or further back under the frame. In the rear I've placed it under the rear shock mount plate, the axle tube, or the frame, depending on what I want to do. Others will no doubt have other favorite places or precautions. In the rear I don't recommend putting the jack under the support or torque arm, but whatever you do, don't jack it up in the rear so the load arm can come out of the stirrup!!! And ALWAYS also use a jackstand as a safety measure.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
All of what Owen says and - TURN OFF TORSION-LEVEL SWITCH - before jacking.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Using a hydraulic floor jack it's always safe to jack the back under the center of the rear axle or the front under the front crossmember under the engine.

The original jack was a bumper jack. These are not the safest thing ever made because of the danger of the car falling off. You want to be sure the car is sitting on level ground and you should carry a piece of plywood to put under the jack on soft ground for stability. They should only be used for emergency tire changes on the road. DO NOT get under a car when it is only held up by a bumper jack. And do not put any part of your body under there, if you value it.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 20:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
For a little more ground clearance with the Torsion Level, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Packard recommended that you engage the T/L and get the Levelizer to raise the car as high as it can, and then turn off the T/L.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 22:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Using the T/L to raise the rear body up certainly is helpful with the tight clearance when changing rear tires and makes it a bit more pleasant when doing a rear wheel brake job. But do it before you jack the car up and then, as I forgot and Lloyd reminded us, turn off the system or kill the battery.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 22:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

Yep, it's a '56 Clipper.

So, when I read your replies, I know that I don't have to search for a original jack.

Thanks for the advice !!

See ya

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/8/13 17:02
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved